Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Purchased from: Dawsons

I play a lot of G'NR, RHCP, Billy Talent, Creed, Metallica... this guitar devours any style you can through at it. I play it through a Roland Cube 80X. There is no noise even standing richt next to the amp. I play it through the Acoustic amp models through to the distorted metal models and it goes through them all leaving nothing to spare. The clean sounds is bright with a great balance between base and treble. The distortion can by muddy when you turn up the base but when you turn the base down man do those humbuckers scream with no end in sight with that endless sustain. If you ask me you can get any sound from this guitar it all just depends on your ability to fiddle with it to your liking.

This guitar will handle any music style, from country to metal. I've been playing for 5 years now and I've had numerous guitars, Ibanez, Yamaha, Cort, Squire and nothing comes close to this Epiphone in any catagory. If this guitar gets stolen (I will never lose it, how do one lose a guitar) I would definately replace it. What I love about this guitar is that it is a Gibson with an Epiphone name and the fact that it is a Less Paul. The single best feature for me is the way that the black head stock matches up perfectly with the Tabacco colour scheme. I find myself time and again just staring at it in disbelief of its sheer buty. Before I bought mine I compared it to Ibanez, ESP, LTD, Vintage and a lot of other Less Paul copies in this price range. I ended up calling my cousin in England to buy it for me as Gibson does not import to my country anymore. The only thing I wish it had was Zebra Seymore Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups.

I have seen numerus local band performing with Epiphone Less Pauls. Even Slash have tested an Epiphone live on stage so if it is good enough for him it should be good enough for anyone. The hard wear is built like the rest of the guitar and that is to last untill the end of time. This axe is like an American Abrams tank solid with the cabability of destroying anything without breaking down. I read a lot of reviews and the first thing I did was to furnish it with strap locks as this guitar is heavy and normal strap buttons usually just don't cut it after a few months of play as the strap wears out you can be sure to find this axe amputating one of your toes if you're not careful. I would use this guitar on tour without taking any of my other guitars with me. The only way this guitar's finnish will not last is if you place it under a 10 ton truck and through it of a clif.

When I received mine the action was to high the pickups were not adjusted to get the most out of them. But a quick trip to my local guitar technician and all of that was sorted. Like I said I was lucky to find one with a flawless bookmatched top, so this all depends on you to shop around to find one they are out there and you'll see once you start to look around you won't take long to find one. As a lot of Less Paul owners know the G string is it's Achilles heel. My G string had a very wierd buzzing sound which after a lot of investigation was not fret buzz but something in the pickup casing which only buzzed when playing the G string. So back to the technician and sorted it was. Despite this minor flaws this guitar is profoundly well built and is very good value for your money.

This guitar was manufactured in China in 2007. The neck is made of mahogany and the fretboard of rosewood with 22 frets and with the iconic trapezoid inlays. The body is made out of a solid chunk of mahogany with a book-matched flamed maple top. I have the tabacco burst which is hands down the best looking finish you can get for the Plus top. I was also very lucky to find one which book-matched lines up perfectly as this could increase your guitars value in collectors eyes (not that I plan to sell mine before I die). Body style is Less Paul and probably the best Less Paul copy out there. Tune-o-matic bridge with a chrome finish same as the Grover tuners. The tuners is non-locking but in the year that I've had mine keeping tune is not a problem with the tune-o-matic bridge. Its got Passive Alnico Classic humbuckers also with the chrome finish. 4 Controls 2 tone and 2 volume with a 3 way Switch between the neck or bridge pickup or both. I paid an ekstra 70 for a hard Gator case.

jailhawkk
    i am not a fan of these guitars, there so unnessasarly heavey, they have not whammy bar and the bridge nut is always poking me in the side of the finger
    el-martino
    Hey, let's keep it plain and simple. If you want a Gibson Les Paul and you don't have the money and have to choose for a look-a-like, choose the Epiphone. You can't get closer to a Gibson. I own the Honeyburst Plus Top Standard and it's great! Yes it's heavier than my speedy Ibanez metal axe but what the .... This is a Les Paul as close to a real Gibson for a reasonable price. And for those who always keep on doubting: wait, save the money and for the real thing. Case Closed.