Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Purchased from: Daddys Junky Music

I play many forms of rock like Blues-rock Hard-rock and metal heavy groove metal and some clean stuff. This Guitar handles almost anything! However it was not made for shredding heavy metal like pantera. If you want that kind of sound buy an Ibanez RG or a Schechter or a Dean. I've tried it on my Roland 20x and with the different amp settings I can get crystal cleans to bluesy Zeppelin tunes all the way to blistering iron maiden leads. The Pickups are absolutely noiseless wich I love and It has a very thick full sound. Another thing I noticed is the pickups are really balanced. Even with the distortion on if I strum a full chord you can hear all of the notes still. Not just a thick blob of sound. This guitar is amazing for everything up to heavy metal.

Overall this is a great instrument. It fits the Led Zeppelin sound perfectly and can play beautifly clea too, while still being able to crunch out those iron maiden licks. I've ben playing over a year now so I know people wont take this seriously. But I've been through quite a few guitars and amps. I've owned some cheap starter guitars, a SX Les Paul Copy and the Dean From Hell Dimebag ML Replica, I own an Ibanez RG350EX and I've even made a few guitars like Van Halen replicas and such so I know a good sounding guitar. If this were stolen I would definately replace it with another just like it! I love the teaburst finish on it with the flame maple top. Its such a beautiful finish and I love the different sounds I can get from it and I love how well the tuners hold up the tuning.

This guitar was ment to be played It would definately withstand live playing..as long as you get strap-locks. You don't want this falling and hitting the ground while yor playing. You might also want to get a decent case as you don't want a beautiful guitar like this to be scratched. I wouldn't gig without a backup only because why take the risk when you have extra guitars? But this would definately be my main guitar and I probably wont have to use a backup.

The factory setup was amazing! I bought it new from Daddy's and the thing was perfect. Great action with minimal fret buzzing, perfect pickup adjustment and just overall amazing quality. After slapping on a new set of Ernie Ball Slinkys this guitar playes like a dream. Again one problem I had was the strap buttons. They were small and slipped through the strap so I went out and bought strap-locks.

Made in China in either 2004 or 2010. I'm not entirely sure how to read the seriel number. Its 22 frets 24 3/4 scale. Rosewood fingerboard. The body and neck are made out of mahogany, the neck is set. It has a flame maple veneer with e teaburst wich is absolutely beautiful to look at. It has the Tune-O-Matic bridge, with passive pickus. Two Alnico humbuckers and 2 volume and 2 tone knobs with a toggle switch.. It has non-locking Grover tuners. The only thing I didnot like where the strap buttons, they were small and positioned awkwardly so I had to replace them with Dunlop stap-locks.

Phoenix V
    Epi's are good value for money , especially for a beginner getting their first guitar or an intermediate player who just can't justify the price tag of a Gibby. Sure Epi aren't as good as a Gibby, but that's not the market Epi is aimed towards. Is it a 10 out of 10, probably not. But to the Gibby fan boys, most genuine Gibbys off the line nowdays aren't either. And they haven't been for quite some time. To me that makes it worse when you pay between 2 - 5k for one. When you shelling out serious cash, I expect, no actually I demand a perfect instrument. If I pay 20% of that pricetag for an Epi, then I know it's going to have some minor flaws, but I'm also not paying anywhere near as much either.
    JB95
    Should have seen it coming. A hundred reviews. WAnted a Les Paul for a long time, but not that much that I'll read all the reviews...
    Vypor
    It looks like there is a lot of ignorance floating around these comments. Let me make something clear: Epiphone acts as sort of a sister company to Gibson, thats why they Epiphone LP's are actually called LES PAULS and not Les Paul copys. Every Epiphone that is imported into the USA first has to go through the Gibsom Custom shops first anyways for Gibson to approve them. Most of the time, the guitars are made of all the same parts, just not assembled here in the USA. I love my Epiphone, although I don't have a Standard Plus, I have a Epi LP Prophecy EX, which is absolutely COMPARABLE to a Gibson Les Paul. Not made in the USA like a Gibson, but a fine guitar that will last many many years nonetheless.
    napalm890
    Kain_Doom01 wrote: All epis are horrible guitars, anything that you have to change hardware as routine as the Pick-up switch is a cheap piece of junk! The only good epiphone is the Zakk Wyld Les Paul, which needs new pick-ups and tuners, but atleast the damn switch works proporly, I mean, you can't give a guitar anything over a 5 in the condition catagory if the switch keeps snapping back -.-" The best guitar, that truely deserves a 10 in ALL catagorys is a 1950's Les Paul: That guitar is PERFECT, no flaws I could find in it what-so-ever, except the price of coarse XD I believe that the best starter guitar for REAL rockers that wanna play the classic rock goodies is an ESP, they have good stock pick-ups, and the DAMN SWITCH DOESN'T SNAP BACK TO THE MIDDLE IN MID-PLAYING!!!! I have a Viper FM-100 with 24 frets, a beginner price range guitar with 24 frets!? Blasphomy! Beleieve it! It sounds GREAT through anything but a fender amp, I don't know why, but it doesn't sound good through fender amps... Anyway, Epis all suck, done, and done If you dissagree, you can guitar battle me, your epiphone vs. my peavey rotor EXP
    The Rotor is a beast... I encourage anyone who is into metal to check it out. It doesn't do acoustic that well and it isn't a good beginner guitar, but man it's great for shredding and ****ing banging. Gibson is good but their partner ship with Guitar Hero has brought them a lot of unwarranted acclaim. Sure they are a great brand but definitely not perfect. How can something get a perfect score if it simply isn't perfect, or really even close?