Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Price paid: € 400

Purchased from: Pro Musica (cork)

In all honesty, I thought that this guitar was a slight disappointment plugged in. It sounds great accousticly, but the neck pickup especially just sounds awefull. The Bridge pickup is decent in fairness though. Unfortunatly it sounds very average. Used this guitar through Marshall JCM's, Vox AC30's. Still very little satisfaction to be honest. It's decent for metal, I'll give it that. But there are better metal guitars on the market.

I play a mix of music. Punk, funk, metal. Anything from Rory Gallagher, to the Ramones, to Muse, Led Zepplin, and Pantera. Overall, it achieves none of these particulary well. I've been playing for four and a half years obsessively, to the point where I can outplay my father (a guitar teacher of 15 years). If this guitar was stolen, I would probably use the money and get something better. Maybe a nice duesenburg guitar second hand (a brand I've recently fallen in love with, whom I knew nothing about). I love the sturdy build quality and looks, however, I detest nearly everything else about it. I compared it to other Les Paul copies (Cort for example), and went with this. Although I hate this guitar, it was one of my first good guitars (my first two were terrible), and so for that reason, I love it aswell as hate it. If I could change anything about it, it'd be a different guitar. Rant over.

Here's where the Epiphone has some redeeming gigging qualities. It's built like a TANK. To put in perspective, a drunk person at a crowd at one of my gigs went to attack me with a broken bottle. I knocked him out with one swing of my les paul. The Les Paul had no noticeable dents, and stayed in tune. So with this perspective in mind. If I really had to, I'd gig it without a backup (even though my other guitars are a good deal better). The finish is likely to outlast me.

The set-up was decent, a tiny bit of fret buzz was present, but it was easily corrected. The frets overall were well done, and the neck is very comfortable to play on. The bookmatching is aweful on this guitar. A very clear line down the middle is present on mine, which ruins an otherwise beautiful finish.

Made in 2008, 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, two pickups. Yadayadayda. See other's if you want specs. Mine Came in cherryburst. Which is just amazing.

riley.ripa
    I got one 1 week ago, and it did not dissapoint! Mine was a transparent blue plus top and it sounded as good as it looked! I played Stairway To Heaven on it and I knew that it was the one. I got it at Guitar Center in Richmond VA and it has been there for a while, so they put in new strings, polished it, made sure it was all good, threw in a strap and some strings for free! The guitar cost only about $450 with a cupon! I give it a 15 out of 10, all i need to do now is find a hardshell case for it.