Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Purchased from: Mundt music, Tyler Texas

Well I bought mine used hence the low price, but it's almost brand new! Cosmetics are gorgeous! Just one good scratch on the back of neck. It doesn't effect playing ability or sound. I play mostly metal and classic rock but the guitar is extremely versatile. Most Epiphone have b grade electronics, these pickups sound awesome. With the right amp, you can get any sound you want from it.

Downside is it's not USA made but depending on the factory, quality can be very good. I'd buy another 2007 because of it's neck profile. Modeled after a fifties Les Paul so the neck is a little wider. Very comfy throughout long playing. I used to have a 2008 studio and a Vox Valvetronix 30 watt and the sound engulfed me. Tube amps and Les Pauls just go together. I now use a crummy Ibanez 10 watt amp and it still sounds great, but I need a better amp to match the quality of the guitar.

A set neck solid mahogany with maple cap. My guitar is four years old and I'm probably the first to pride it with a case and it it almost brand new. It's a bunch of wood glued together then painted and lacquered. About as tough as that can be. This is a real Les Paul and will last a lifetime.

Hard to say what it wad like out of the box, but the action is great. I play in standard tunic but if you down tune just a minor adjustment on the bridge will accommodate you. And it had a truss rod accessible on the headstock under the plate. The Finnish is gorgeous, I've seen plenty of gondola and this Epiphone looks better or as good. The pots are smooth and the selector toggle works the way it should.

It's an 2007 model. 22 fret neck. Mahogany body, neck. Headstock with planed maple top. Heritage cherry sunburst finish with chrome hardware. Grover tuners, Epiphone tune o matic bridge and tail piece. Chrome pickup covers on dual albino classic humbuckers, and cream binding on body and neck. Trapezoid pearled inlays on a rosewood fretboard on the set mahogany neck. Pickguard with matching pickup rings. Just like a Gibson. Traditional Les Paul electrics.

MaggaraMarine
    Ahh that epimphone's review is just a good example how you shouldn't write a review.
    This thing is amazing. I just got it today brand new off ebay. The paint on this thing is amazing.
    Don't review your guitar when you just have bought it because 1. you can't see the flaws or bad things the guitar has and 2. you haven't played the guitar enough to know how it sounds if it sounds good or bad.
    On my amp, it sounds sort of like my Strat
    Lol? LP and Strat sound is way different.
    I've been playing for 4 months and people think I've been playing 2 years.
    Then they don't play guitar or have played less than 4 months. But the thing is that you just don't write a review when you have played guitar for only 4 months. You don't have enough experience of how your guitar should feel or sound like and even if you did have that experience you should wait until you have had this guitar for about 6 months.
    rv_phoenix
    All the fight for Gibson's supremacy over Epiphone is somehow useless, since we are talking about two different makes, regardless the fact they belong to the same Gibson group of companies. Epis are cheaper and also they are made in Far East. Most of them are very good guitars, with a character of their own. Probably the LP Plus is one of the best LPs under 1000 euros and I don't see more than 2 or 3 other LP-type guitars who can compete with Epi. Truth is Epis are more inconsistent than Gibsons. For the player, it means the opportunity to encounter a bad one is higher, but if you choose your guitar in the music shop, it means only to identify the bad one and avoid it. Epis also have cheaper electronics. Their pickups have the same specs, but quality standards are lower in Far East. Pots and internal wiring are certainly weaker than their American counterparts. But Epis hardware is very good and, in fact, you can replace the pots, the wiring and the pickups with less than 250 euros, thus getting a true Les Paul for about 750 euros. It's not very much, if you cannot afford the real thing. If you don't care about the headstock logo, Epis are just plain good axes.
    MaggaraMarine
    ^ And I know that because I checked some of my old RP355 settings that I had made when I had been playing for only about 6 months and they sounded full crap! And back then I thought they sounded great.
    nikh158
    If you`re put off by the weight, why not try an LP Ultra? It has a honeycomb (partially hollow) body and is considerably lighter than the normal LP.
    JB95
    I really want one of those! By the way, if I read all the interviews, this comment would be posted tomorrow.
    themelodicdeathshow
    Everyone ive played which is over 20 makes were setup unplayable from factory and even after a full setup in my shop still some of the worst playing guitars ive ever played.
    djBeWilmingtnNC
    I own several $400-500 epis and $800-1,000 Gibsons. Both are excellent values. Epi Les Paul Standards and SG-400s are two of the best imported guitar values you will find. Gibson's new US-made maple cap mahogany les pauls at $800 are one of the top two values for US guitars, along with the $730 Fender Highway 1 telecaster and the $900 faded cherry Gibson flying V. But though the epis sound very good, and close to a Gibson, there is some kind of nearly intagible warmth missing from epi that you will begin to notice after playing for a long time. You will get a kind of ear fatigue that you do not get from a gibson. Trust me, this is tru, it is coming from someone who owns, loves and appreciates both brands. If you only own epi, for example, and then go off and play a gibson for just a little while, you may not pick up on this. I have not had any problems with epi hardware, and quality control has been imporved in recent years. oh and if you want GIBSON on the headstock of your epi, swap the stupidly repetition Les Paul truss rod cover for one that says GIBSON, they are $3 online. Thats how the older epis used to be.
    woogle
    buhda wrote: these reveiws are useless theres no way and epiphone les paul could get a 10 out of 10 it may be an ok guitar but its not great i wouldnt give my dads 1975 gibson les paul 10 out of 10 most of you have never played anyother guitars what have you got to compare to no guitar gets 10 out of 10 especially a epiphone
    you are comparing a 500-700 guitar to a 300-400 guitar, your suppose to reviewing for guitar in the same price range, plus many people including myself have played both epi and gibson me personaly test the gibson sg standard to epi verion and really aint to much difference considering the massive price difference and if your really fussy cud buy a epi switch pick and tuners and toggle 4 gibs equivalent nd still be cheaper than standard.