Les Paul Standard Plus review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus

Purchased from: Archambault

I play a lot of metal/hard rock (a lot of Metallica), and the guitar sounds awesome with a high gain amp. Note that I have set up my guitar for heavier strings (Power Slinkys), not a big fan of those extra thin strings that came with it. Seriously, on a gain amp, the difference with a pair of EMG 81/85 is surprisingly not that much of a difference! Clean sound could be better though. There was a time where I played Drop C and setted the guitar up with super heavy strings and it sounded super heavy, still sounds heavy in E or Eb. I play through a Roland Cube 30X mostly on the Rectifier amp setting. For the amount of money I spent, It sounds absolutely fantastic.

This guitar will suit pretty much every style of music. From jazz to heavy modern metal without forgetting awesome pure and old Rock N' Roll. It sounds very heavy if you need to. You will also get a very nice jazz tone with it, without forgetting the awesome sustain (unlike a Fender Tele). I have been playing for now 5 years and counting. I have a Art & Lutherie acoustic guitar, an American Fender Telecaster Nashville B Bender, a classical guitar and this beauty. If it was stolen/lost I would definitely get myself another one. The only negative thing I could say about it is that I expected a "hotter" clean sound, but it's fine.

I had the guitar for several years now, and it's still in one piece! One day, the stand on which the guitar was falled forward and the pickup switch snapped from the impact. Needed to go find an original switch and solder another one there. It was my fault obviously! The guitar also survived a 1 meter drop on asphalt which a chip on the body. That super heavy solid guitar will withstand live playing and the hardware will surely last. I would gig with it without a backup (already did) and I depend on it. The finish is good to last and hard to scratch. I also replaced the strap buttons with some Schaullers; I like every guitar I own to have the strap locked and secure.

Sadly, the guitar was really badly set up from the factory. Being quite a beginner when I got it several years ago, I couldn't figure out why when I played an E or a G Chord it would sound awful (no I haven't changed string gauge at that time). Until I learned by myself to intonate it, fix the action and fix the truss rod. The action was perfect when I got it, but it was very badly intonated and the truss rod needed adjustment. I also set the pickups a little bit higher, but that's a matter of preference. It also kept in tune really really badly. I tightened the tuners so they are harder to turn and put a pair of heavier strings. Now it stays in tune nicely and don't need to retune after a song or some crazy bending. Just don't forget to stretch your fresh pair of strings and that constantly changing tuning (like I do) will make it harder to stay in tune. I guess that not every Epi Les Pauls out there are like that, but maybe the guy that set it up at the Epiphone factory wanted to go home faster and bungled the work.

The guitar was made in 2004. Features a fat neck for you fatty lovers out there, a pair of cool sounding pickups with a tone and volume for each one. I am a big fan of the Tune-O-Matic bridge! Very easy to set up, blablabla you know the drill there's hundreds of reviews down there reviewing the guitar features; all the same! Now it says "this field requires minimum 500 characters." I have nothing else to say about the features. The features are awesome. Need more characters... I bought the guitar with the black and yellow finish (forgot how it's called). It's a beauty. So I drank coffee this morning. Yes! No more characters needed!

andre15
    i bought my EPI on november 2012...close two one year now...happy birthday my guit:...i change the original pickups to a pair of Seymour Duncan 59 vintage and wow the magic apear! just say that before i changed my pickups it was a good guitar but it was needed just a little more punch!
    Rickholly74
    I have two Epiphone Les Paul's and a 1973 Gibson Les Paul. The Black Epiphone Standard that I have (2006) is a really great guitar with great sustain. It is on the heavy side at almost 9 pounds but it is a great playing guitar for any blues, classic rock or just all round playing. It is not a shred type neck but that's OK by me because I don't play anything like that (I'm impressed by some shred players but after listening to someone shred for a few minutes, I'm bored and don't care). As for the Epi Les Paul I think they are great right out of the box. The pickups are excellent on the two I have and the necks are perfect and you can get the action really low with no fret buzz at all. For the first time in my 40 years of playing I actually had to raise the action on my guitar, not because of a buzz issue, it just made me play sloppy. I have had my Gibson Les Paul since 1975 and I have now offically retired it to my home studio. I have been taking out the Epiphones on gigs each week and have yet to have an issue of any kind except guitar snob friends who say "Where is your "real" Les Paul". It's their eyes that tell them what I am playing, not their ears. My Epiphones make me wonder how Gibson can keep justifying their overpriced Gibson Les Paul's. I contend that in a blind listening test most listeners cannot tell the difference. I know the audience in the places I play can't and don't care. Only other guitar players even notice.
    bogdalski6
    I purchased an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Honeyburst which is really awesome-looking guitar. Moreover it's amazingly great if we look at playing feeling. Very enjoyable guitar. Before I bought this I wanted to get rid of a pickguard but when I saw it on real I changed my mind. It's incredible. By the way it's kind of distinctive feature, isn't it? Great playing guitar, great looking guitar, great sounding guitar. I can definitely recommend this. But before you buy one you should go and check that everything is good with it
    grea789
    my roomate's mother makes $79 every hour on the internet. She has been out of a job for 5 months but last month her check was $21010 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this site Great70dotcom
    karlsjones
    I own a number of guitars and my Epi LP was the second one I bought after a MIM strat. It is an excellent guitar in it's price range. I have since bought a Gibson SG special and an Ibanez Artcore, but still enjoy the rich tone and wonderful looks of the LP and play it often. There's a hell of a lot of snobbery on here isn't there!! I think when you buy an Epi you are probably taking more of a risk as there is less quality control and therefore more variability of quality than a Gibson but get a good one and you have a fine instrument for a reasonable price.
    mjcannon70
    The differences, once electronics, etc are replaced (including pups, steel bridge posts,etc), is the wood in Gibson guitars is older which you can not alter and the neck shape. Neither can be 'upgraded' without spending more than you would for the real deal. Epi's can still sound vey, very good but they simply are not as 'open' sounding...
    gndboy
    I bought an Epi LP Std + Top July 3rd from GC in Corpus Christi. The previous Sunday I played one they had in stock (MIC) in Gold Burst, but I wanted one in Heritage Cherry Burst, so they ordered it for me. The instrument that showed up was made in Indonesia (MII) and is quite beautiful. The stock strings were awful, and I immediately replaced them with D'Addario 'tens. I also snugged the truss rod maybe 1/8th turn, and tweaked the bridge a similar tiny amount. The instrument sounds and plays wonderful. Good low action with zero buzzes. The pickups are really fine with the new good strings. Given the July 4th sale, for a tad over $430 out the door, I highly recommend this electric to all but the most jaded Kalamazoo junkie. This is a really nice guitar to play, and the electrics are perfectly quiet except for the roar of the dual-coil pickups. It's a lot nicer than many Gibson LP's I've put hands on over the years.