Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro

Price paid: € 355

Purchased from: 4Sound Sweden

I'm a self-learned beginner and used to play on a Schecter Omen 6, still have it around. I find that the Les Paul has a lot more sustain and "ompf" than the Schecter. The pickups are quite HOT and feels like a big improvement compared to the Schecter. I play mostly Hard rock and Metal (from Zeppelin to Maiden and other NWOBHM). The coil tapping feature is somewhat dependent on the amp. I usually run the guitar through Guitar Rig and found that some amp configurations hide the coil tapping feature completely while others bring it forth very clearly.

The overall impression is that it was a definite upgrade from the old Schechter. Both sound and finish is superior. I have only played for a couple of years and is self-learned (thank you YouTube!) so my experience is limited to say the least. I have tested plenty of guitars in my local guitar shop and I must say that there is many guitars that have a much higher price tag but don't come near this in both quality and sound. If it was stolen I would definitely buy another one. For 355 this is a great buy! My rating for this guitar is 8. The reason it's not 9 or 10 is that I have such limited experience so I feel I must leave room for things I have not discovered yet.

Can't really answer this as I don't play live. Everything feels very solid and well made so I would guess that using it live would not be a problem at all. The strap buttons feel sturdy and big enough. The Groover tuners are nice to work with and feels very solid. After first tuning it has kept its tuning very well, partly due to Elixir strings that I have found work very well for me. It is a heavy guitar so if I had to stand all day playing I would perhaps look for something a bit lighter. Dont know if the Gibson versions are lighter.

The finish was better than I've expected. Gorgeous honeyburst finish without any scratches or imperfections. The only marks was on the pickguard that had some sort of black scratch marks on its edges. As I dont like the pickguard it was taken off so it was not a big deal for me. The frets was quite raw so I changed strings immediately (Elixir 10-42) and gave the frets a polish. It came out great. The neck was very straight and could need some relief. I have a tiny buzz on the wound E-string, not much but its there. I will check the neck when the guitar has settled in a bit. Except the pickguard I cant find anything to complain about.

It's made in Indonesia December 2012 and bought by me in may 2013. 22 medium jumbo frets and 24, 75" scale length. AAA flame maple top. Hand-set mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard. Locking Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece. Neck pickup is a ProBucker-2 and bridge ProBucker-2. Honyburst color. Neck and bridge pickup volume controls with coil tapping. 3 Way pickup selector. And 2 x tone controls. Grover 14:1 machine heads. Bought it without any hardcase or such, already had a nice gigbag.

matthewattfield
    I own an Epi LP plustop pro and it is the most amazing guitar i've yet to play on, i have 7 others been playing for 10 years, i've got 2 other epis, an lp special and an sg 310 and i gotta say he plustop pro is something special.
    The-Bloosers
    Esta guitarra en verdad es especial, yo la adquirí tras un largo camino como músico amateur y tras probar y querer muchos instrumentos y marcas, es verdad, uno se apasiona por el instrumento tanto como por la marca que porta, lo que puedo decir es que yo siempre fui un poco renuente a adquirir una Epi, ya saben el rollo de pensarla como una Gibson de imitación, pero es que esta lucía estupenda, los acabados impecables y las prestaciones superiores a una Gibson studio así que me decidí y creo que no pude haber tomado mejor decisión, a veces la frase "bueno, bonito y barato" si se cumple, el sonido es perfecto en cuanto a lo que se espera de una LP, los materiales y terminados de una calidad superior, en fin, un instrumento elegante y con un sonido propio. No dudo que muchos músicos profesionales comiencen a dejarse ver con algunas Epiphones y entonces si como suele pasar, los precios por los cielos. Sólo me arrepiento de una cosa acerca de mi decisión por adquirir mi Epiphone Standard Les Paul, Plustop Pro, el no haberlo hecho antes.
    gndboy
    I own a MII Epi LP Std and I think it's a fine instrument. It's in Heritage Cherry Burst and the fit and finish are flawless. The frets are smallish, the neck geometry suits me, and it plays in tune with itself top to bottom. It required
    The-Bloosers
    mhorry
    Looks tremendous, great raw material but the factory setup was woeful and in particular the nut was cut way too high (my second Epi so afflicted). Nothing a good luthier can't fix as part of a standard professional setup and once done this guitar is just awesome. Just factor in a professional setup to the purchase price.