Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro

Purchased from: Ebay

Not sure when the guitar was made, but its got a sticker that says its from Indonesia, and inspected in the USA. 22 medium-jumbo frets, rosewood fingerboard, handset neck. AAA Flame maple top, body of mahogany, amazing sleek finish that feels great. Tune-o-matic bridge, two volumes and two tones, plus the coil-tapping. Two ProBucker pickups, and grover machine heads. It has a real nice variety in color for people that are more adventurous. I bought sunburst cherry, and it looks absolutely beauteous.

I play mostly classic rock and some newer Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff, and this does all of it perfectly. Sounds pretty great on most settings, although when you turn on the coil-tapping, the volume decreases a bit, not dramatic, but noticeable. Huge variety on it, maybe not great for heavy metal, but can do most anything, from the cleanest jazz, to some real heavy rock. Gave it an eight because it isn't like super melt your face amazing sound, but still definitely worth having. On really clean sound, it almost sounds like a tele with the coil-tapping on, and it has a real fat sound to it.

The action on it was simply amazing, everything was set up very well, the pickups were set in a way that the really was no reason to adjust them. Everything came nearly perfect, except for a slight finish issue below the bridge, but it is hardly noticeable. The guitar has a classic beauty to it, kinda like a Jimmy Page style Les Paul. It makes tapping, fast picking, squeals, anything at all extremely easy, with a real slim neck to it. Can't say I have played anything more comfortable than this guy. I don't know if everyone will find it as perfect as I did, but to me, it was meant to fit in my hands, I guess.

Had this guitar for a pretty long time, and it has been pretty reliable and durable. Everything is solid and pretty well made. Definitely would and have gigged with it with no backup. The finish is really really really nice, super sleek, and it has not lost any of its luster while I have had it. It has been real strong, and as far as I can tell, the guitar will last me a real long time. I use it real often because of its ease of use, and it has been pretty good to me. If anything goes wrong on it, I probably will try to fix it as well.

Does absolutely everything I need it to do. I have been playing for several years, and have some decent gear with it, and it sounds fantastic. Wish I knew that the coil-tapping causes a smidge of volume loss, but whatever, not a huge deal. It is a bit heavy on the shoulders, but not insane or anything. I definitely would replace this if stolen, or buy a similar model. I love pretty much everything about this guitar. Definitely recommend for anyone to buy this bada-s of a guitar. If you are curious at all whether or not to buy this, I give you my word you will enjoy this guitar. Just wish I could have a whammy bar on this, and then it would be complete.

mondobong
    When I get time I will do a full review on the Plus Top Pro. In the meantime can I just say that if you plan to buy one of these, don't buy mail order. Go to the shop and try as many as you can. I tried every Epiphone Les Paul in Guitar Guitar (UK shop) before settling on one of these. Despite modern machine tooling I found the necks were very different on many of the LPs. I decided on the Plus Top Pro as the pickups were head and shoulders above the others. Superb tone!
    Waspfactor
    Just got my epi lp standard goldtop,2012 Indonesian made,and wow straight out the box Im super pleased,the build quality is perfect,all it needed was pup adjustment and it plays beautifully. Coming to this from my yam pacifica I noticed the wider neck but the shape lets my hand fit comfortably so no probs there.The goldtop finish is beautiful too.At last I have my les paul and at my playing level cant justify a Gibson price,so all in all Im a happy bunny and would def recommend this baby if you just must have a les paul.