Les Paul Studio review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Studio

Purchased from: Zenith Music

The guitar itself is great I must say, there is actually a fair amount of sustain from this guitar! The pickups are also quite impressive for stock pickups. I must say though, my practice amp does it no justice whatsoever, I have a Kustom 16 Watt practice amp with a Celestion speaker but it takes away the brightness of the guitar. I played it through my dads Marshall stack however, and it shone!

I play metal and rock, so this guitar is great for the rock songs I play, not great for metal but still ok. If it were stolen I wouldn't purchase another, I would most likely get a better guitar or upgrade all my gear. I personally hate the Tune-O-Matic, but I love the feel of the neck.

This guitar, I should think, would withstand Live playing. I've never used this Live, I use my other guitars for that, this is a practice guitar for me. The hardware seems robust like any other official branded guitar. Strap buttons weren't solid until I fixed them. I won't depend on this guitar, I never go without a backup but I just don't think this is cut out to last forever. The frets have worn down very easily which is odd, I have a guitar which is older than this (LTD V-100) and the frets on that are still roundish.

Hmm, this is where I complain a little. I hate Tune-O-Matic bridges. When you a cleaning the guitar with a cloth and you have the strings off, the bridge falls off. I don't mind that because I can clean it more thoroughly, but the two screws that remain in the guitar spin far too easily. Therefore adjusting the action greatly every time I clean this guitar. but that happens on any guitar with a Tune-O-Matic bridge so it's not the guitars fault (therefore action is forever changing so it's hard to rate). The pickups seem fine and all the routings and fittings etc seem perfect except for the usual strap lock being lose.

5dilloneastoe
    do u reckon its possible 2 take off the pickguard because i like the look of the epiphone les paul special 2 but i doesnt have full controls and it sounds worse
    compugeek12
    compugeek12
    compugeek12 wrote: Just got it 3 months before in 2007 I've got one. I love it compared to my old squier. Make sure you get straplocks or else your strap will drop it like mine did the paint chipped off i was pissed. Gibsons weigh more too!!!
    le(igh)spaul
    jhjps wrote: does it have the trapezoid inlays or dots, here it shows trapezoids but on musicians friend it shows dots
    i think it can have either, mine has trapezoids but some other guy said it has dots. anyway is a totally awesome guitar, the best i've had and i tried my mates strat, not one of those crappy japanese ones but i am kinda bias but for a whole lot less i think i have the better guitar