Les Paul Studio review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Studio

Purchased from: C.V. Lloyd Music

This guitar is great for pretty much any style of music. It can handle blues while jammin' with my band, or heavy metal on stage. I use an Ibanez "X" Tone Blaster amp and a Digitec something processor for practice, and a Marshall stack for shows. Good clean or distorted, but I recommend switching the pickups, they weren't as loud as I like, so I dropped in an Iommi Signature and a Dirty Fingers in the bridge. Now it's a beast. As you could guess, not recommended for tapping (that's why I have a Strat) the action is just to high, I don't really tap anyway. I recommend for a bigger player (it's heavy, just about broke my buddy's back at a show).

I play a lot of classic rock and hard rock, and the Les Paul is perfect for loud, heavy, awesome music. I believe that this guitar is perfect for that kind of music, lead or rythm. I have been playing for a few years (about 3) and have played Live gigs, this is my main guitar now! I used to use this junker that was my first guitar fixed it up and now it rocks). It was a kind of Strat look-a-like with only one humbucker. My Studio blows it out of the water and into outer space. There is only one thing I have asked about this guitar before I bought it: Do you have any more? If this were lost, I would buy another. If it were stolen, I'd hunt down the S.O.B. and beat him with the case. There is only one thing that I don't like about the Les Paul: it isn't a Gibson. I would have gottten a Gibson Studio is I had the money, but the Epi version is just as good, or even better. I have put in new pick ups (which is a personal preference) and a Bigsby vibrato on it (also a personal thing, I like to dive bomb! )but aside from those things, everything else will probably stay the same. I'd say that my favorite feature of the Les Paul is it's body... I just LOVE the LP shape. Here is a quote that sums it up. It is from a Spanish guitarist talking about the history of the guitar: "It is shaped like a beautiful woman, with smooth curves, a beautiful face, and a sweet voice". Yeah. That about sums it up. I only wish that I had this guitar when I was starting to play, I would have been much more confident to play around other people.

This guitar is a real Les Paul, it is tough and will always perform well live. I always bring a backup, but I have yet to have to use it. Hardware will last a long time, the strap buttons are solid but I'll probably get some locks just in case. The finish is solid, it will take a sander to get it off. Scratches are kind of annoying though, so be a little nicer to it than another guitar if you get the ebony finish.

The guitar was set up perfectly when I got it. The ebony finish was perfect! No flaws at all. All of the hardware was perfect, no lose tuning pegs, no rust. The only problem I had was the switch went out for a while, but I'll get that taken care of. Overall, really good set up, finish, hardware, and pickups. Just be sure to try it out before you buy.

Made in Korea I believe. Standard stuff: 22 frets, non locking grover tuners, two humbuckers (no covers, nice clean sound) Standard control setup: 3-way Switch, 2 vol., 2 tone, not sure what kind of frets, body is made of mahogany, fretboard is made of rosewood. Tune-O-Matic bridge piece, stop bar tailpiece (though I replaced it with a Bigsby True Vibrato, it sounds great). The point of the Studio is to take away a lot of the frills that any other Les Paul would have, leaving a clean looking guitar. I have it in ebony with chrome hardware. I had to buy the case, but it wasn't much (about 20 bucks). Overall, a really good guitar.

BlackHawkA4
    Great guitar. Picked it up three weeks ago. I love the sound. Play it through my 30 wat ADVT Vox Amp. Fucking sweet. Only flaw was when it slid off my bead and fell... on the carpet... the head stock snapped off. I've dropped my friends les paul a million times on the hard wood floor. never did that.. hmmm.. gotta get a new one.
    asterisk_corpse
    I own one. Its a great throw around guitar, pretty durable but not much to look at.Hell i even broke the headstock once after a show. I just glued it back together and continued its legacy! Its pretty much my go to guitar since i never really cared much for shiny, fancy finishes, and it sounds good through most anything ive ever played it through. It gives off a little feedback depending on the amp or the pickups. Great sound and affordable. However no two Les Pauls are the same and my opinions are on my Les Paul in particular so just pick and choose.