Les Paul Studio review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Studio

This guitar has great sound. The humbuckers it has on it are basically the exact same as my other guitars, but for some reason, they just have a better sound. Very rich and full sound from both. I'm more preferable to the Bridge pickup, just to get the extra little bit from the tone. I use this guitar through a Crate Flexwave-15r with a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, along with my Dunlop Cry Baby Wah pedal. Occasionally, I will use it with the Overdrive setting on the amp, but most of the time it's the pedal. I don't really get a lot of feedback from it, it's pretty quiet unless you're actually playing something. I think if you play around with the tone and volume knobs, and change some settings on the amp. For the most part, the tone I have right now sounds great to me, and is basically a universal sound for every band that I've tried.

Overall, this is the perfect guitar for me. I play all different kinds of music with it. So far today, I've been playing Chiodos, Rise Against, Journey, Guns N Roses, and just doing some improv over a blues track, and it suits them all very well. Next month will be 3 years that I've been playing. I also own a Gibson Les Paul Junior (but thanks to strap button failure, it has a cracked neck), and an Ashland electric guitar (made by Crafter acoustic), but I don't know the model of it, and I still don't know why, but the humbuckers on those two just don't compare at all to this guitar. It has a sound that is great. I compared it to a Gibson Firebird (which I'll be getting sometime in the next couple of years, anyway), a Gibson Robot SG, an Ibanez S420, a Gibson Les Paul studio, a Jackson King V, a Kramer Vanguard, a '74 Fender Stratocaster, and a 2009 Fender Stratocaster HSS. This guitar blew them all away. The Gibson Les Paul Studio sounded very close to this, but I just felt that for some reason you get more for your money with the Epiphone, and the Epiphone also just felt (to me) like it played better than the Gibson. I like the sound (and probably almost everything) better on the Epiphone than all of the others, but if I had been looking for a guitar with good sound, a fast neck, and great playability, I would have went for the Ibanez (which I almost did). The only thing I can say that I wish this guitar had is a Floyd Rose tremolo. If it had that, this guitar would be the god of all guitars to me. Really guitar guitar, I would recommend it to any guitar player, just starting out or playing for years.

This guitar definitely withstands live playing. I got a chance to test this out last week, and it was great. It stays in tune perfectly, thanks to the Grover tuners. Hardware is great, and I think it will last for a VERY long time. The strap buttons on it were pretty solid, but just to avoid any accidents with the strap, I replaced them with Dunlop Strap-Locks; I've had bad experience with the strap buttons on Les Pauls before, and I wanted to avoid that with this one. This guitar would go on through a gig PERFECTLY without a backup, and I've proved that at the show I played last week. It stayed in tune despite the change in temperatures (from where I keep it to where I played), and the amount of play it got. The only reason why I'd need a different one is for different tunings, but that's kind of obvious. The finish is great, I've accidentally hit this guitar with a few things like the amp chords, and it's bumped the edge of my dresser and things, and there's not a scratch on it from those; just the one that was there from when I got it. I think that makes it clear that this finish will last a long time.

The guitar was set up very well, but I do think that since the neck is painted on the back, that slows it down. My other guitars have MUCH faster necks than this one, but it's still a good one. The set neck construction does make it a bit harder to reach the top frets. In fact, anything beyond 17 and you'll be reaching to hit it at all. The selector Switch doesn't feel like it was put on that well, but I've fixed that by adjusting it a bit. The tone knob for the bridge pickup is put on poorly; when you look at it, it's screwed on in a way that causes it to rotate in...well, as best I can describe it, like the Earth on it's axis; it turns fine, but rotates and wobbles sideways, you could say. The finish is great. The only flaw in the finish was one place on the headstock where it's been chipped off.

My Les Paul Studio was made in China in 2009; I bought it back in December and have been testing it out a lot to write an honest review. It has a 22 fret rosewood fretboard with a 24.75 scale, Mahogany wood neck and solid-top body with an Ebony finish. The Standard Tune-O-Matic bridge and 2 Classic Alcino Humbuckers and Passive electronics. Two volume and two tone knobs for controls with a 3-way selector which goes Bridge, Neck, or a combination of both pickups. Grover tuners. Didn't get any accessories included with it.

seximatastic
    soter79 wrote: I have the epiphone studio deluxe limited edition ! Anyone knows if it's the same guitar with the epiphone studio? Any differences ? magnets - body ?
    The pickups are slightly different. Deluxe has Alnico Plus pickups while just the Studio itself has the Classic Alnico. Deluxe also has trapezoid inlays and pickup covers.
    salgala2000
    I have the deluxe edition of this guitar. Great buy. Only realistic improvements which i would like on this would be the diamond shaped les paul thing on the headstock and maybe the gibson les paul knobs. (Am i the only one that hates those cylinder knobs??)
    guitar_hero911
    Exaton_v wrote: Hello guys. I'd appreciate it if anyone of you could compare this guitar to a PRS SE Singlecut.
    well depends on the kind of music you play.if you want sustain (without a buying a sustainer pedal) then go with the singlecut but other than that they are the same in my opinion. I would go for the epi les paul cause u could just get a pedal and you save some money. but it is totally up to