Les Paul Studio review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Studio

Purchased from: Digital Village

A lot of the music I play is alternative rock from bands such as 30STM, U2, Snow Patrol, Coldplay and Oasis. It's particularly good for this style of music (which can be very clean and melodic) when playing with the rhythm pickup, which gives a really warm almost 'bluesy' sound, but it can also be good for harder rock with it's raw 'les paul' power! The tonal variety of the guitar is fairly mediocre, yet I have to be honest and confess that I'm one of these players who nearly always sticks to the max 10 on the tone controls! I play the guitar through an Ashton amp with my cheap Boss MD Distortion Pedal. An unusual combination, and unless you want a dirty, digital and almost fuzzy sound of distortion, I wouldn't recommend this pedal to anyone. It doesn't complement the guitar as much as I would have liked it too, and takes away that beautiful hard rock sound the guitar can be found to have with other pedals (such as the D1 or D2 Boss pedals).

I've been playing guitar for about a year on my Acoustic guitar. A couple of months ago I bought this guitar to play some more rockier tunes, and it has been great! I'm no guitar expert, but it has done the trick perfectly. I reckon if it was stolen or lost I'd buy this guitar again. For it's price, it's slick worn cherry look and it's raw powerful sound it's a great guitar! (sure, it may not compare to Gibson Les Pauls.. but with a bit of tweaking it could be there). I thought about buying a Standard Epiphone Les Paul and a LP100, but it's modern look and it's price got me hooked. Nice guitar!

I have played a few gigs with this guitar, and it has been great! The hardware looks set to last for a long long time, the strap buttons are solid, and it is a guitar you can depend on! I have played without a backup, and it has done me a good job. It has also stayed in tune well, which I was really pleased with. I can't tell now whether the finish is good enough to last (as I have only had the guitar for a few months), but it may do as it only a matt finish.

The guitar came ready to be played! The action is great on this guitar, which makes it really easy to play. No other flaws at all!

The Epiphone Les Paul Studio I bought has a sticker saying it was handcrafted in China. It has a lovely rosewood fingerboard with 22 frets. These have Dot inlays in them. As you'd expect from Epiphone Les Paul guitars, it has the Standard tune-o-matic bridge. The pickups are two hot open-coil humbuckers (Epiphone), the tuners are grover and the hardware is chrome! The body and top made of mahogany wood, which makes the guitar look absolutely amazing with it's worn cherry matt finish. For controls, it has 2 volume, 2 tone and a 3 way selector switch. When I bought this guitar, I got a free gig bag and 2 metre jack to jack lead with it, which has been a great help.

Mainer
    I totally **** the shit out of it
    ...wow really? couldn't have used a better choice of words? lol
    OlBlindMan
    I changed out the pups on my studio to a pair of Seymour Duncans, and changed out the 3-way to a 'free-way'(6 position switch)for more versatility. I can play in single coil mode in any switch position, which does have it's merits. It is not my first pick guitar,as I still need to tweak out the pups, but it plays nicely.