Les Paul Studio review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Studio

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I really like this axe. It plays a bit better than my Epiphone G400. Pickups aren't noisy, hardware is fine. I have used it out of a Line 6 Spider IV and a Fender Frontman 212R, and it sings. It works well with various MXR, Boss, and Dunlop pedals. I am quite pleased with the guitar's sound, although I'm thinking about changing the pickups.

I play alot of rock and metal, and this axe is great for it. The bridge pickup is great for solo and heavy riffs, where as the neck is great for rhythm, although it is a tad muddy. If someone stole it, I would defo buy another. It was so worth the $400, and I will hold on to it for a long time. I would never sell it.

This guitar would be great live. I play standing up alot, and the strap has never slipped, the strap buttons are solid. I would use it to gig with most definitely. The guitar seems like it will last, none of the hardware is flimsy or loose, I would trust it for sure.

The guitar came in exactly how I liked it set up. The pickups were adjusted pretty good. The guitar was smudged and dirty, but that's no big deal. Also a tuning head was loose, but it's still a great axe. Not a big deal, and not hard to fix. For a $400 guitar, it was setup great.

- Mahogany body with carved top - Set mahogany neck - Slim-tapered profile - 24-3/4" scale - Rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays - 22-frets - 12" radius - 1-11/16" nut width - Alnico Classic Plus humbucking pickups - 2 volume, 2 tune controls with 3-position toggle - LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece - Vintage Kluson tuners with tombstone buttons - Gold hardware (alpine white) - Nickel hardware (wine red and ebony)

MaggaraMarine
    I don't think the neck pickup is great for rhythm. It's ok for cleans and some mild overdrive stuff. I don't really use it on my LP. Yeah, it's pretty muddy but neck pickups are muddier than bridges because they are more bassy. It says "rhythm" on it but it doesn't mean that you should only use it for rhythm. Many guitarists use it for smooth leads and some sweep picking. Experiment with tones don't just think that it says "rhythm" on it so you can't use it for anything else than rhythm. But yeah, I prefer the bridge pickup for everything when playing my LP. And with my Charvel I like both but use bridge for distortion, just prefer its brighter tone.