Les Paul Studio review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 5.4 Decent
Epiphone: Les Paul Studio

Price paid: A$ 600

Purchased from: Gallins

I bought it for rocking, and I use it with a twin reverb tube amp. It delivers nicely with distortion and the pickups (when they work - see below) sound clean enough with reasonable definition - particularly when compared to active pups like EMGs. You could easily play jazz as much as metal on this the sound is pretty versatile, and I've had a lot of fun with this - essentially the sound is strong without much extraneous noise. But the pickups and electronics had issues...

Please note that unlike other reviewers, I have not written this on the day I bought this guitar - I have used it for about three years, and it took a while for it to reveal it's flaws. I have an Epiphone Futura Prophecy EX, a Yamaha SA800 which are both much more reliable and fun to play than this guitar. You will get a taste of the Les Paul tone, and it does sound OK and stays in tune. I have had my fun with it, particularly when looking for thick hard rock tones, but the poor electronic workmanship make me feel that I've been shafted a bit. Would I replace it if it were stolen? HELL NO!

This is where this this guitar really went to pieces after the first year (one month after the shop's warranty!). The electronics just aren't up to scratch - the input jack/wiring has had to be repaired and now the pickups are seriously screwing up - dying out and coming back in, just atrocious really for a guitar that's still fairly new. And it's not like I treat it badly - I only use it at home. I would never trust this piece of crap in public, the quality of the electronic work is way too shoddy. Oh yeah - and when I was taking it to the shop to be repaired it fell over while in it's case - BOING - I opened the case and the bloody head had broken off. If this happens to you, it's not worth getting it professionally fixed - save your money and use Araldite. I did and it stays nicely in tune even if I made a hash of the job, so I won't knock the Grovers (or the Araldite!)

The action was pretty average, even when set up by the tech at the shop - and he's got a pretty good rep. Not terrible, but the action is a big deal, and it could have been better. The baseball bat neck doesn't really help matters. Everything else was satisfactory.

As we know this is a Chinese made instrument - I bought it new in 2009. It has a pretty cheap look - i.e. dots instead of pearloid on the neck and uncovered pickups but essentially it has the main features of alnico pickups, a set neck, grover tuners and the three way selector for the two humbuckers. The glossy all black paint job drew me to it - well it looked OK at that moment and I had money in my pocket. Epiphone make cheaper versions with bolt on necks and crap pickups, and a more expensive version and I think this is the inbetweener.