Les Paul Studio Deluxe review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 5.4 Decent
Epiphone: Les Paul Studio Deluxe

Purchased from: ebay

I play in a hardcore/punk band and it's done the job pretty well. Could do with a bit more beef from it but compensated with effects. I'm running it into a pedalboard consisting of a Boss TU-3, MXR Custom Badass Modified OD, MXR Custom Badass 78 Distortion, Boss CE-2 and a Danelectro Milkshake chorus then into a Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c 50 watt valve combo. With the 78 Distortion I get quite a significant amount of feedback however I'm pretty sure that's just because of the gain level. I only use the bridge pickup and have no controls other than an on/off switch now. Nice sounding but really it's just average Epiphone, nothing great but not horrendous.

As stated above I play hardcore/punk although dabble in other genres at home. It's pretty versatile and at the same time has a good price label. I've been playing for 6 years now and own a variety of guitars. This, however, was my first Les Paul. I do wish I'd done a bit more research instead of just assuming it would be similar to other Les Pauls but it's doing it's job. If it were lost/stolen I'd be quite annoyed as it does feel like a part of me now but I've bought a Les Paul Standard now so it wouldn't be the end of the world. On a personal level I love all the customization I've done. It's not just a plain guitar now, I've made it my own. One thing I did dislike was the neck dive. While no as bad as an SG it could be a pain from time to time. Lightweight tuners have sorted that and look the part too so it's a win-win situation really. I didn't compare this to any other products however I wish I had, I would've waited a bit longer and saved for the Standard if I'm honest. The only thing I wish it had is a bit of a heavier body as it feels a little bit too light sometimes. Strange I know but I like to feel the guitar pulling gently!

YouTube preview picture

I've been using this guitar for live playing, weekly practices for a year now and the only problem I've had is the on/off switch which was retro fit so doesn't really reflect on the guitar as standard! Hardware is all holding up good. I sweat bucketloads when playing live but there are no signs of degrading or rusting hardware. I've been gigging it woithout a backup for a year, just make sure I have spare strings at all times! The finish on it isn't going anywhere unless you go at it with a belt sander. It's one of those guitars that'll take 100 years to look like it's been taken out of the case!

Guitar turned up pretty well set-up however I had it redone by a luthier due to using heavier gauge strings than the previous owner. Pickups seemed fine, like I said above I only use bridge and it's been doing the job fine for a year now! Everything was routed nice and neatly so no complaints with that, no visible blemishes or build up of finish anywhere. Overall it came to me ready to use, although it was second hand so any issues it had when new will have been sorted out by the previous owner, hence why the average 5 for this section.

Not a clue what year this was made but like most Epiphone guitars now it's Chinese. 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard. Mahogany body and set mahogany neck. Mine is solid black although I've covered it in stickers now. Les Paul single cut body. Standard Tune-O-Matic with stop tail piece, passive electronics. Individual tone and volume for each pickup and three way selector for pickups. Standard Grover tuners although mine have been replaced with non-locking Schallers now. Second hand from ebay and the guy threw in a gigbag too.

BrokenSteel
    what about someone whos titties have only played squire instruments? wouldn't this be ridiculously better then a fender squire. . .?