Les Paul Ultra review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Ultra

Purchased from: Rainbow Music

I play anything from slow ballad type music to to a heavy rock type music and it hangs in there perfectly. I have a Peavy Rage and a RP200 effects pedal and they work just fine. It has a amazing tone it is really rich and full sounding but if you need to use it distoted it makes that sound good too.

This guitar is amazing and is such a joy to play. I would def still use this guitar if I would get another guitar. I chose this because of its amazing look and how light it is. It is only 5-6 pounds and would be very light to gig with. If this guitar was stolen I would most definatly go get another one because I love it so much.

I think that if you needed to gig this guitar it would last most definatly. The hardware seems like it would last. As for the strap buttons I myself will be upgrading to strap locking ones because it makes me feel more safer but yeah the strap buttons were fine. Yeah I would gig it without a backup and the finishing I think would last along time.

The action was perfect except it has a ringing on the low E string but it may just be the strings. The pickups for me were perfect. I myself have found no flaws yet on this guitar.

Well, it came with Tune-O-Matic bridge, grover tuners, there are 22 frets and the neck was I nice size for my hands. The finish was beautiful, everyone that looks at it says 'Wow, that is a nice looking guitar.' It is a flame top, mahogany body, rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays. It has 2 Alnico classic/hot pickups which make it have a great tone. Has the 3-way selector and 2 tone and 2 volume controls. One nice feature I like is the semi-hollow body making it only 5-6 pounds it is very light compared to other Les Pauls.

marius44
    I have a les paul ultra it is a great guitar. It is much lighter than any other les paul by the way. This is due to the fact that is is a partial hollow body unlike other les paul models.
    Johnny_Rocks
    bcrich's are for men who think they look hard but they have all the swirly shapes to cover up their tiny todger
    redarrow
    speedforhire
    I own all 3 of the Zakk Wylde customs (Epi's of course) and let me tell you the Ultra is light. The chambered, semi-hollow body, thinner neck make it so. It's designed more for the blues player as it has a deeper tone (due to body characteristics). Metalheads would fare better with an LP Custom.....IMHO
    speedforhire
    U krack me up Johnny-Rocks: Now back to Epi's. If you're looking for quality, go for an Elitist model. The quality is as good as (if not better) than some Gibson LP's, yet costs 1/2 the price (my ZW's with actives were cheaper). For thrashin, get a "GOTH LP", upgrade to actives (costs less than a Custom).....LIFE IS GOOD!
    SolaceMarine
    haha BC rich I played my cousins warlock and i will never buy a BC rich.....but thats probably cause i dont play metal bottom line each person likes different things in guitars so there is no such thing as a perfect guitar
    AcDc_1337
    The only difference between the woods of epi's and gibsons, is this: Epi uses what ever mohagany, and gibson uses "Rarer" honduran mohagany. so yes, epi does use mohag, but different types.
    b.b-king_19
    First of all any realy guitarist would know that Gibsons and epiphones should not be compared because gibsons kick ass and epiphones don't. also SolaceMarine Said theres not perfect guitar well i think other wise the perfect guitar is the gibson les paul custom bottom line.
    NuckingFutz0r
    Howe-n-Harrison wrote: uno why its ****ing light, becuz its an epiphone, there not made with mahogany liek les pauls
    Learn to spell, nice review by the way!
    that is so true...
    Johnny_Rocks
    redarrow wrote: d_kRAMMER wrote: Yea I can tell you for certain even the Epiphone versions of LP are heavy, they might not be made from mahog. but I'm pretty sure quite a few are. Though I've never had the chance to play a Gibson LP I'm reassured almost weekly that there isnt much different between them apart from perhaps an odd mistake or difference in the finish or the quality of electricals. Epi LP's are not to be seen as lower in the chain than Gibson LP's! sorry but i HAVE to say thats 100% crap! I dont see how a comment like this can be made when you;ve never played a Gibo LP. iv got a Gibo LP standard LE and a Epiphone LP Custom BB...and put it this way.....i have absolutly NO use for the Epi....they feel completly different to play.....the Epi has a rediculasly flat fret board compared to the Gibo....and as for tone....well the extra 1000 basically speaks for its self....worth every penny!!! Seriously lads....if you want a beefy LP DONT go for the Epi....just save a bit more and get a guitar with bags a character! Beleive it!
    I don't see how you can say that when you have never played my guitar! I have an epi LP and it is the nicest guitar I have ever played. I set it up myself to suit my custom needs, and with a page style super low action (raised for playing slide) the sustain is still about 9 seconds! And if you think that the higher the action the longer the sustain then I think when you talk about an epi you should treat it with the same respect as you would a gibson or a fender. The playability of epi LP is immense even on the cheaper models and even for an advanced guitarist you get you (not alot of) moneys worth.
    Jonbagga
    Im getting this Guitar in bout 1 or 2 weeks, and when i asked the guy to order it he never knew it existed!
    -Thor-
    I think all the people who complain about the weight of LPs are pussies
    AMEN BROTHER
    punkerkid!79!
    wtf bc rich is a mans piece of plywood go grab a gibson lp and ull be the coolest person here
    warlockwarrior
    Elespaul100 : les paul ultra looks sweet id like to try one out... i have a les paul 100 alex is gay
    cool#9
    Despite its few flaws you still give it a 10 all around. . . nice guitar though.
    d_kRAMMER
    Is it really light or are you making it up? I thought that one of the contants with the Les Paul was to be heavy being part of the sound make up and its purely logically made design? I myself have an Epiphone Sandard and it weighs alot more than most other guitars I've played with. I don't mean to accuse I just wondered if they really have fiddled with it that much. Nice review by the way
    d_kRAMMER
    Ah right thanks, after this review too I really want a chance to play one.
    migs_migeezie
    I own this guitar and i love it. The best Epiphone LP on the market. I have an Ibanez GAX75, an eko vintage hollowbody, an sg and a fender strat and this one beats them all. The chambered body and contoured back make it nice and light compared to other les pauls that are all solid. it is a bit neck heavy due to the light body but i have since gotten used to it. the color and hardware make this what it is. all gold tuners and bridge and stopbar as well as all gold plated humbuckers. and the flame top color is gorgeous. I got a great deal on this guitar paying only $400. so its well worth the money. if you can find one to play somewhere then you should. i have a crate and a marshall cab and it sound amazing thru both. Epiphone you have made a standout product this time!
    rhcpfan118
    the best epiphone LP? i myself own an epi LP custom... i'd say that's the best. body binding, chunky sound, great looks... probably the best non elitist series epi on the market...
    slash_015
    kewl but i don't like the look. i mean the grain. a simple sunburst looks better in my mind
    Chokes26
    my epi les paul standard plus is definately heavy, had i known this before i bought it off the net i probably wouldnt have got it. But apart from that they are great guitars
    selloutpunx
    actually, this guitar IS made out of Mahogany. It's chambered, that's why it is lighter, not because of the actual wood used to construct it.
    ArcherTheVMan
    your ard arnt you? your certainly stupid i know that much.
    This_Kidd
    Does the guitar lose any sustain through being semi-hollow and/or contoured? Would 420 be a fair price for me to buy this guitar at?
    Bones420
    These reviews are getting more and more pointless, practically every reviewer gives there guitar a perfect or close to perfect score, regardless of the guitar. The only way to really find out if a guitar is good "for you" is to go to a shop and play one..
    Shorrock
    people give great reviews becasue they tend to love there guitars even if there are flaws with it.
    long gone
    the epi les paul ultra was made to be lighter and have a harder rock sound.
    Johnny_Rocks
    to the comment regarding epiphones not being made out of mahogany... I have a beautiful Epiphone Les Paul which plays better than all but one gibson I have ever played (and there have been a few!) The body is a solid block of mahogany. I havn't yet played on LP Ultra but by the sounds of it, it is an immense guitar. I particularly like the idea of a thinner neck, it's easier on tired hands after hours of rockin! peace out