Les Paul Ultra review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Ultra

Purchased from: L&M

Its versatile and can be used for a wide variety of styles including what I play, punk, metal, rock, some emo, classic rock and ska. Pickups sound amazing especially if you play classic rock. Very good for distortion and good for clean. I play it through a Boss ME-50, and then into a Marshall Mg 50 DFX, very versatile I can make it sound like anything. It is not that noisy, of course you will get some feedback if the amp is cranked and your right beside it but other than that it stays nice and quiet. I can get a nice warm distortion out of it as well as a heavy death metal distortion too. It kinda lacks in the clean area, I haven't been able to get a real nice bright clean sound out of it yet, but that could be becasue of my amp.

It suits the types of music I play which is awesome because I play many diffent styles and it is pretty versatile. I have been playing for around 6 years but have only been really serious for about 2. If this guitar was stolen I would chase the bugger down and shit on his head, it's an amazing guitar for the price. I think I would buy it again unless I saw a cheaper guitar with better pickups which would be very rare in this case. If there is something I love about it, is that it is as light as a feather, something I forogt to mention earlier, I have to say I hate nothing about this guitar. The only thing I dislike about it is that it can be dented so easily, I hate being uncarefull lol. I was comparing it to Standard Epiphone Les Pauls but this baby felt so comfortable and was much lighter, plus the bundle of better hardware and pickups then the standards. If your looking for a les paul and your on a budget this is the way to go, just pay a little more for the Ultra becasue it's definatly worth it instead of getting a Standard.

This guitar is built to gig and I would definatly play without a backup, it's bin through a few falls not huge ones but has managed to only sustain minor bumps and scratches. The hardware is also beatifull and I do not think it will die on me anytime soon, I have noticed when I'm tuning I hear a slight cranking sound but I haven't had this problem before I think it mite have something to do with the way I put the strings on. As I said before the strap buttons come loose once but a toothpick solved that problem. The finish is beatifull an occasional polish makes it look like new and as I said before the gold finish on the pickups and bridge has started to fade leaving a little silver but it is barely noticable and is from constant playing and sweat, it makes it look cooler.

The setup from the factory was awesome I did not have any problems with it, although the input nut was a little rattely but a good tighten with a rench fixed that for good. I have had it for about 2 years now and the only problem I had was with the strap knobs, they have become loose recently but if you shove a toothpick in there and screw it on good, it will stay. The action was beautiful. Oh yea the golden finish on the hardware has started to tarnish a little around the edges, I'm guessing this is becasue I play it a lot and I also sweat a lot while playing.

Not sure what year it was made in, I'm guessing 2004 in Japan. 22 medium-jumbo frets. Rosewood fretboard, laminated body, looks to be a maple body/neck, don't know for sure though. Sunburst finish or whatever you want to call it, it's the same as the picture above. typical les paul body, Tune-O-Matic bridge, 2 volume and 2 tone controls, 2 nice humbucker pickups, they have a name but I can't remember, 3-way selector switch, gold hardware. Looks awesome and plays awesome, really nice neck, easy to move your fingers aound fast. I can't remember entirly but I mite have gotten a hardcase with it when I bought it or some kind of deal but I cannot remember for sure.

SGSamurai
    this looks like a good guitar if ypure like me and cant be bothered to plug your amp in half the time.
    Korzack
    Got hold of one of these a long time ago - an Absolute godsend, even through an MG. Gonna replace my standard with one of these - 349 from GAK, bargain!
    Jonny Blaze
    I got this guitar in November. My absolute favorite les paul. BTW i run through a digitech effects pedal and it sounds amazingly metal if you tweak it a little bit
    Shizzster
    I loved how it felt comnpared to the standrads, I bought it with canadian currency though, so it would be cheaper at a Guitar Center, theres none where i live . Im pretty sure i got a hardcase with mine included in the price but cant remember, gotta find the recipt.
    mr. ...
    dimebag_420 wrote: Onram wrote: your all gay pick up a bcrich and play a mans guitar **** Yeah
    -.!.. bcrichs suck ass
    Korzack
    Howe-n-Harrison wrote: uno why its ****ing light, becuz its an epiphone, there not made with mahogany liek les pauls
    The reason why this one's so light is because they took a sodding great chuck out of the back of it, which took about a third of the weight of it out. The Epi lp standards are about 9 lbs weight, this is nearly 6. and BC Rich? the only difference between those & a gibson are the extra daft cutaways (like the mockingbird - take the extra bits away, and that's an LP. The warlock? The horns are borrowed from an SG anyways). Still, I got hold of this thing, first guitar I had the balls to try out at a guitar store, Mighty sound - Hah it dissapeared half an hour after I played it, but I'll say that's more the guitar.
    p2fyre
    I bought one of these at the weekend and it absolutely kills the Gibson LP studio. I'd actually go as far as saying this sounds better than the Gibson LP Std, but obviously the Gibson has slightly better build quality. I've always hated epiphone, so it's hard to believe they can make a guitar this good.. it's incredible!
    tmd9314
    These reviews are great I think I might get one of these. I checked the internet andt he reason why it is so light is because a) its ollow and b) its made of laminated mahogany not solid mahogany and c) there is a body contour that takes away some weight