Les Paul Ultra review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Ultra

This guitar is great for almost any style of music, I play anything from blues to metal, and it suits it all perfectly (with the proper pedals of course). However, I play mostly heavy rock, and use a metal distortion pedal through my Vox valvetronics ad50vt. When I play ac/dc songs, the sound fits so perfectly that I actually need to stop playing to make sure that it is not JUST the song playing. Yes, it does fit so well that you cannot tell whether you are actually playing or not. The only tihing I have a problem with is there is a slight buzz, which is normal for most guitars, and you can neutralize this by messing around with your frequency settings on your amp, or effects pedal. This guitar plays VERY well for all kinds of music, ut I have only thorougly tested it for heavy rock, and its amazing.

This is a great guitar, and I would recommend it to anybody, it is great for its price, and can withstand SO much damage. I am soon getting a Fender American Deluxe, and many people have asked me "will you still play your epi?" and the answer to that is a firm yes. The epi may not be as good of quality as the fender, but it is still a beautiful guitar, a nice playing guitar, and honestly, still one of the best I have ever played, it even out does most gibsons I have tried. I have been playing for 11 years, I have a Peavey Raptor plus, Ibanez soundgear, Yamaha Acoustic (I forgot the model), a Fender highway one, a Martin Acoustic (I forgot the model)and an old Squier tele.

This guitar can definently withstand live playing with ease, it has great sound, and will sound great at high volumes. The hardware itself seems to be holding together very well, except, one of the tuning keys has a slight rattle in it when you shake the guitar, and the gold plating is startign to wear off as well, but other than that, it is doing very well. I can DEFINENTLY depend on this thing, I have not found a Gibson that can out play it, and yes, I would use it on a gig without a backup, but it never hurts to have a few more ultras. The strap buttons sometimes let soft leather straps slip off, so be sure to always have a good grip on your guitar, or get a locking strap

this guitar was set up very well, it was flawless, except for one minor detail, one of the tone knobs was angled by a few degrees, which is bearly noticable, but other than that, it was flawless, however, after almost 3 years of wear, the gold hardware is starting to come off, there is a slight annoying rattle that seems to be coming from one of the tuning keys, or inside the neck, other than this, it is holding together very well.

made in 2007 in Korea, 22 jumbo frets rosewood fretboard, mahogany neck. Solid Maple top, mahogany body, gloss body, but satin finished neck. 2 volume and 2 tone controls, 3 way selector, 2 humbuckers, and grover non locking tuners. The parts may not be the best, but they form a great little guitar.

nickdill
    I got my epi les paul for $350, and its been great. A few friends of mine have legit gibsons, and they like this baby more than their own. =]