Les Paul Ultra review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Ultra

Price paid: C$ 700

Purchased from: L&M

Let me say right away, I play worship rock. I bet you thought there was no such thing. This guitar suits my style really well, I do alot of palm muting. So I love the bridge, although I wish certain things on this bridge weren't so sharp. I practice with a Fender Frontman 25R and my effect pedal is a DigiTech RP255. When I play at church, I go through the system, Bose sound system, and the on- stage monitors, I think they're Yorktown. This guitar is very quiet, minimal to no hum, I generally play with this guitar in the middle selector switch setting. Depending on where you place your switch, it could be bright, or slightly distorted. This guitar can basically make any sound, I'm sure if Tom Morello had this guitar, he would perform all his fancy guitar magic with it. I am not Tom, I just play the thing. Let me say this guitar is amazing, it will last me a lifetime.

I said before, I play worship rock, and you know, just figure out how interesting songs are played, never really serious. I have played for 10 years, I'm certainly not the best, fact is, sometimes it may sound as if I'm just a beginner. I used to play classical guitar, than I tried playing bass, that didn't work out very well. I own multiple guitars, my Ibanez SAS36QM-CBS is amazing, love the paint job, I will be going to polish the body, restring it, set the truss rod to drop D, so I can play Skillet songs. I also want to install a Floyd Rose locking trem on the Ibanez, I think it would look and sound amazing. I wish I had asked how to take the Epiphone stickers off the pickups without the words rubbing off on the pickups. If this guitar was stolen, I don't think I would buy a new one, just because I have grown on Ibanez, I love their gear. I love that this guitar was on sale when I bought it, I love its sound, its appearance. I hate the stickers that came with this guitar, they rubbed off on my pickups. I compared this guitar to a $275 and a $585 Epiphone Les Paul, this guitar is lighter, sounds better, and is just an all around better guitar. I wish this guitar came with a hard shell case, so it doesn't get damaged while traveling.

I am not good enough to gig quite yet, but I must say, it can withstand live playing. The hardware will last a lifetime, the strap buttons seem to be fairly solid, although, they seem to allow very soft leather to slip off. I may have to get strap locks, just in case. I can depend on this guitar, I however would not go to Sunday service without a backup, this guitar being my backup, after I set up my Ibanez SAS36QM-CBS. The finish seems very good quality, it won't wear off, but than again, it might.

This guitar did get set up properly at the factory, I like the action, but L&M includes a complimentary set-up, so I'll use that to raise the action, and of course, new strings. I'm going to keep the pickups in the configuration they are, I don't mind the placement. There are no flaws with this guitar, a vey scratched up pickguard, but rather the pick guard, than the stunning finish. I did not appreciate the Epiphone stickers placed on the pickups, a great deal of difficulty to take them off, and now the imprint of the letters from the stickers are on the pickups themselves. When I go to get the guitar set up, I hope L&M removes this imperfection.

This guitar was made in China, on the back of the headstock it says handcrafted in China. It has 22 frets, I'm thinking they're jumbo, because they're the biggest I've ever played yet. Solid top, it can definitely take a beating. Both the neck and body are Mahogany. The finish is a quilted top. The body style is Les Paul, if that's a body style, if not, I don't know. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic bridge. Passive electronics. 2 volume and 2 tone knobs are given, what I don't like it how high the knobs are, there is a huge space between the body and the bottom of the knob. 3 way selector switch is also included. Two Alnico humbucker pickups. Gold hardware. Grover non- locking tuners. I didn't get anything extra from L&M.

MaggaraMarine
    People stop this stupid Gibson vs Epiphone debate! Epiphone is a cheaper version of Gibson so it's like a modeling amp. It can come close but it's never better than the amp it's modeling because... well, it's modeling that amp. Same with these guitars. They are like modeling Gibson's guitars. But yeah... They are in different price range so you shouldn't compare them. It's the same as if you compared a Marshall MG and Marshall JCM. It just makes you look like a noob when you say that "this thing is sooo good, it is way better than a 5000$ Gibson!" No it's not, get over it! But it's not meant to be. But that kind of review just aren't helpful. 10/10 reviews just make people facepalm and not even bother to read the review.