Les Paul Ultra review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Ultra

Price paid: C$ 420

Purchased from: Fromager Music

I play a bunch of styles of music such as blues, metal, classic and hard rock. I use a Line 6 Spider IV 30 watt amp which has almost all of the effects I need. On clean settings it sounds heavenly with the pickup selector on the the middle, the bridge on 6-7 and the neck on 10 for a fairly full sound. As soon as you put the distortion on this guitar absolutely screams. Soloing on it is awesome and playing rhythm is great with a real punchy sound.

I've been playing this guitar for almost a year now and it's an absolute joy to play. I love the looks of this guitar with the flame top and the gold hardware. It made me fall in love with Les Pauls. I never really liked them before getting this guitar but I would definitely get another one of these in an instant. I would highly recommend this guitar to anyone looking for a fairly good priced guitar with an amazing sound.

This guitar will definitely work live and hold it's own. I've taken it to a few gigs with no problems what so ever. The strap buttons work quite well. I had a Epiphone Korina Flying V before this and I would use this one for my first guitar no question. But I would have kept the V for back up with much punchier songs.

I got the guitar at a dent and scratch sale so it had a small chip at the top of the headstock but other than that it's flawless finish wise. It does have a slight string buzz on the low E and A stings but I'm going to get it set up properly this summer so hopefully that fixes it. The look of this guitar is freaking gorgeous with the flame top. The back of the neck is unfinished which I find is easier to slide and go across.

This is probably the most beautiful guitar I have ever owned. It came with the tune-o-matic bridge, 22 frets and a fairly small neck which is great for jumping all over it. Mine is the flame top with the bone edging which always looks great. I've gotten tons of compliments about it on and off stage. I really enjoy the chambered body which makes it super light and easy to use.

rv_phoenix
    MaggaraMarine wrote: People stop this stupid Gibson vs Epiphone debate! Epiphone is a cheaper version of Gibson so it's like a modeling amp. It can come close but it's never better than the amp it's modeling because... well, it's modeling that amp. Same with these guitars. They are like modeling Gibson's guitars. But yeah... They are in different price range so you shouldn't compare them. It's the same as if you compared a Marshall MG and Marshall JCM. It just makes you look like a noob when you say that "this thing is sooo good, it is way better than a 5000$ Gibson!" No it's not, get over it! But it's not meant to be. But that kind of review just aren't helpful. 10/10 reviews just make people facepalm and not even bother to read the review.
    Fully agree. However, we have to admit Epis are utterly underestimated, not compared to Gibsons, but to other entry-level guitars. They are good workhorses and, ocasionally, some interesting models appears in their range. I myself am pretty impressed by Epi's hollowbody line: it's better than most of Ibanez's similar range, at fairly decent prices. I'd recomand an Epi over any Dean or Jackson entry-level, not to mention Ibanez's GIO Series.