Les Paul Ultra review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Ultra

Price paid: C$ 495

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

I play rock, this guitar suits my style really well. I am running this guitar through a DigiTech RP255, and a Fender Frontman 25R. Also a tuner. This guitar isn't extremely noisy. Lots of variety can be made with this guitar. In the neck position or rhythm it has a nice rich sound, good for intros to songs, solos around the higher frets, and some distortion. In the middle position, it sounds good, I don't know how to describe it, I usually keep it in the middle position. In the treble position, I play it with some distortion, it has a nice full sound.

This guitar is a great match for my style of music. I researched this guitar, I felt like I knew more about it than the salesman. I have played guitar fr 8 years, with this guitar, I have gotten better. I wish I had asked how to keep the gold hardware polished, and asked how to intonate it. Basically just maintenance questions. I compared it to some cheaper Epiphones, this one obviously one out, it was originally $700, but I got a good deal. I wish this guitar had an easier access plug.

I love this guitar, but in its current state, with the strap buttons, it wont survive live playing. The hardware should last, but not the strap buttons. I will be getting strap locks. The finish is very good, it is not easily scratched, also with that pickguard, scratching the finish is even harder.

I think this guitar was set up fairly well at the factory, ad must have been played alot at the store before I bought it. Since it was out of tune. The action is great, I'm going to leave it as is, just get new strings. The pickups are adjusted very well, I might bring the neck pickup a bit higher. Everything is done properly. There are some dark spots on the white edge around the guitar, those might just be dirt build-up. The pickup selector is a bit noisy, but it doesnt't matter to me.

This guitar was made in China, a sticker on the headstock say handcrafted in China. 22 frets. The neck is Rosewood. The body wood is Mahogany, with a flamed maple top. The fretboard is maple I believe, but I'm not 100% sure. The body style is Les Paul. The bridge is a Tune-O-matic style bridge. Passive electronics. Two tone and two volume controls are given. Grover non-locking tuners. I did not receive any accessories.