Les Paul Ultra review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Ultra

Price paid: C$ 492

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

I play a hard rock style of music, often times I play at my church, but I play a heavier style most of the time. I am running this guitar at home through a DigiTech RP255 effects processor, and into a Fender Frontman 25R which I have unleashed the full power of, finally. At church I run into the DigiTech RP255, through a Behringer Ultra-G GI-100 DI Box, which is run into a very old mixer, and that controls the Bose Sound System, and the monitors are Yorkville. This guitar is not noisy at all, in fact, it kills our worship leaders Fender Strat any day, and yes, the Fender has Humbuckers. I play this guitar in the middle pickup configuration usually, but sometimes I change it up. This guitar can make any sound you want it to. One can use the 3- way selector switch as a killswitch! This guitar rocks, I will never sell it, or swap anything.

I play heavy rock, yes this guitar is a perfect match. I play worship rock, this guitar fits in nicely sound wise, but apparently is "too flashy" coming from a lady in my church with two grand pianos which are easily 8 grand each. I own an Ibanez SAS36QM-CBS, which I really like. I also own a Seagull SWS Maritime folk body acoustic guitar. I wish I had asked to polish it properly. I would buy the Ultra 2, which has a Nanomag pickup, I want to emulate an acoustic guitar tone with my electric, that would be cool. I love the whole guitar, not a huge fan of the strap buttons, or the gold paint rubbing off, and the Epiphone stickers on the pickups, which caused the words to rub off onto the pickup themselves.

With a proper strap or strap locks, yes, this guitar will withstand live playing. With a backup in case you break a string. The hardware feels like it will last a lifetime, and than some. The strap buttons are mediocre, at best. They seem cheap to me. I can definitely depend on this guitar. I would not gig without a backup, you know, in case I break a string, or it drops, due to crappy strap buttons. The finish is great, looks beautiful, but with the pickguard, there are no worries about crazy scratches.

I don't know about the factory setup, as this was a floor model, so I don't know how many people played it before me. I do know it was out of tune when I picked it up. I was too lazy to tune it, so I made my decision based on a badly out of tune guitar, shoot me. The action is very good. I got it setup at Long and McQuade, they did a fantastic job! Everything is properly matched. The guitar has no flaws, none that I can, or none that an over perfectionist in my church can see. Nothing is wrong, although the gold colour on the hardward is starting to wear away. Nothing is loose. Nothing is wrong, nor ever will be.

Not sure what year this guitar was made, but I could care less about that. It was "handmade in China". Not totally sure if that's true or not. This guitar has 22 medium jumbo frets, which are made of Rosewood. This guitar is a carved top. The neck is made of Rosewood. The finish is Quilted Maple. Les Paul style body, which I love. The bridge style is Locktone Stopbar/Tune-O-Matic system. Passive electronics, which sound amazing. Two volume and two tone knobs are given. 3- way selector switch. This guitar has an H-H pickup configuration. The brand is probably Epiphone's Alnico Humbucker Pickups. The tuners are Grover non-locking tuners. I did not get anything from the guys at L&M, until Christmas, when I got a solid guitar case, that is made for the specific make.

AXXTACYGUITARS
    Since the epi les aul tributes and prophecys came out, the ultras have no reason to live. Get an epi les paul std for half the price or just pay $100 and get a trib...for the extra hundred you will have gibson usa pickups (huge upgrade that would cost you $250-$300 aftermarket) plus a case easily wrth $100, plus straploks.
    Bilboid
    Here is an interesting fact. When Lester Paul first designed the Les Paul, who do you think he approached to market it? That's right - EPIPHONE! When that didn't work out, he went to Gibson.