Limited Edition Riviera Custom P93 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Limited Edition Riviera Custom P93

I play various styles of music ranging from jazz to metal to blues and various genres of rock. The pickups are kind of dark sounding for p90's. But if you mess with the 3 volumes and tone, you could easily make it brighter, or if you're handy with guitars and soldering, you could change the tone cap, that helps it alot. Also what I've found out is that if you turn off the middle pickup, it makes the neck and bridge sound brighter. I play it through a Vox Valvetronix 30 watt, and can pretty much get just about any sound I want out of it, so with the p93 and my vox, I can get a variety of sounds. The only downside is that when playing distorted, like metal for example, the guitar gives alot of feedback, but it goes away if you turn on the middle pickup on along with which ever other pickup you're using, I believe the middle pickup is reverse wound. But all and all it sounds pretty good.

I play various types of music, and long with my amp, it works for me. I've been playing for about 4 years now, and it just might be the best guitar I've ever owned. I've had a Gibson LP Jr., a 1967 Vintage Ventura ES-335 hollowbody, a Epiphone Strat, an Epiphone Bully SG, and a 1987 Fender MIJ strat, which I ended up selling to get the Epiphone Riviera P93. If it were stolen, I'd go on a manhunt and find the whoever stole it, because these are a limited edition and don't know if they'll be sold at a later point in time. I love just about everything on the guitar, however it could have had a roller bridge, and some full sized pots. But for $500, it is the best semihollow you can get and it has the most features than any other on guitar on the market for this price.

The guitar is very reliable, and it seems pretty durable. I've hit it against a couple things accidentally, and not a single dent/chip. The hardware and the guitar itself seems pretty durable. However, the little aluminum "e" sticker on the pickguard seems to come off easily, not that it really matters, but some people like to keep that on the pickguard. Its a good guitar to play live with, but you'd most likely want to invest in some straplocks, afterall, you wouldn't want to have such an amazing guitar to hit the floor.

Now this is the part where I've seen in other reviews that the guitar is in crap condition and there are a bunch of finish/hardware/other flaws and whatnot. Well for me, this wasn't the case. But then again most guitars need a set up when new. I got to play it new out of the box, and it wasn't bad, the action was as high as they normally are on semihollows, but I got used to low action, so I lowered the action and then got some fretbuzz, but a simple setup(dressing frets) got rid of that. Also, the bridge buzzed alot, to a point where I ended up replacing it with a $26 GFS roller bridge(it needed one anyway, because of the bigsby) and that really helped it alot. Also I changed the tuners, there wasn't anything wrong with the stock ones, but I replaced them anyway, and now with the new tuners and the rolling bridge, it stays in tune better(not that it doesn't stay in tune with stock hardware).

Specs: Body Wood: Laminated Maple Top wood: Laminated Maple Scale Length: 24-3/4" Neck Joint: Set Neck Neck Wood: Mahogany Fretboard: Bound Rosewood Neck Shape: C Frets: 22 Nut Width: 1.68" Fretboard Radius: 12" Bridge: LockTone Tune-O-Matic Tailpiece: Bigsby Pickups: 3 P-90 dog-ear single-coil Controls: Bridge Volume, Neck Volume, Bridge Tone, Neck Tone, 3-way Tuners: Epiphone tuners? Hardware colour: Gold Pickup selector: 3-way Toggle Finish: Wine Red finished in polyurethane

Marley Tokunaga
    Lagunaguitar wrote: MONSTA42 wrote: kroket666 wrote: whew nice,, thinkin about switching from metal to jazz when you see this baby Not an easy switch to make. Instead of putting fingers on at random and strumming wildly, you actually need to learn different keys and modes. metal isn't JUST fingering random notes
    Is it at all fingering random notes?? I actually take time and effort into writing my metal.
    sonic_777111
    cip 123 wrote: so can u get some metal sounds on this
    new_age_reject
    sonic_777111 wrote: cip 123 wrote: so can u get some metal sounds on this Industrial, probably. If you want to shred you probably don't want a hollow guitar at all.
    George Benson can shred a beastie on these, he is a jazz player though of course.
    metalhead 321
    you have just started a flame war...