LP Extreme Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 09/23/2005 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Epiphone: LP Extreme
This guitar has a select grade Indian Rosewood fingerboard, "Super-Slide" satin finish, the new E-Series "Ultra Hot" covered humbucker pickups with E-logo die-stamped covers, a hard maple set neck, new "E-Wing" headstock and has an "E" logo inlay on the fingerboard.
 7.4
 5.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
LP Extreme Reviewed by: Calum_Barrow, on september 23, 2005

Purchased from: Friend

Features: It was made in 2001 as part of the E-Series line of Epiphone Guitars, and named the "LP Extreme." It boasts the same features as the world famous Les Paul; two chrome covered PAFs, individual volume/tone controls, 3 way-toggle, 22 frets, Tune-O-Matic bridge and a carved top. It's a little thicker than a standard Les Paul so I'm told, and the pickups are apparently better too. To my knowledge, it's got a mahogany body and neck, and the top is a plastic one, as it's in a Dealer Exclusive Limited Edition white pearloid. The neck and back are both finished in a gloss black finish. Tuners are some random die cast ones that came on it, but they're rather good for some no name tuners, and hold tuning for ages. I bought it with a padded Fender Deluxe gigbag, but I bought a hardcase and now use the Fender one for my Strat. // 10

Sound: I play a wide range of music; rock, blues, folk, country, jazz, and others, but whichever genre I use this guitar for, I can almost guarantee that I will get the sound I'm looking for. I play through a Fender Frontman (which I don't like at all) and a Zoom 3030 effects processor. I often use the middle position for cleans, as it gives a full, warm sound which is lovely. The bridge pickup gives a nice edge and has a cutting tone with distortion with the tone on 10. again, I can get almost any tone I want with distortion on too. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar second hand, so the pickups and action, bridge etc. had all been adjusted correctly. The finish and build quality have no flaws whatsoever, and everything fits/looks as it should. One thing I can pick on though, is that on occasions, my bridge pickup's noise will reduce by a lot, and you'll hardly be able to hear it. Wiggle the toggle around, and it back on. If the problem persists, ill be replacing the toggle with a Switchcraft or something. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would play this guitar live, but no matter what guitar I was playing or whatever music I was playing I would always play with a backup. It does seem like it would stand a show, but I haven't yet tried it. There is one thing that isn't holding up very well, and the strap button (more so the neck one than the bridge one) has a habit of coming loose. I'll take it off and shove a few cocktail sticks in the hole and fix it tomorrow probably. The finish will probably stand for a long time, and it's only got a tiny bit of bucklerash on the back. All you can see is a few very small scratches, but you can only see these when you angle the light properly. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I am very pleased with this instrument. I've had it for nearly a year now, and I love it. It's a little heavy compared to my Strats, but nothing I can't handle. I probably would have chose a standard Les Paul over this with a flame top and such, but for 200 with a gigbag and a full set up, I can't really argue. It's a little different, and I get a lot of people commenting and asking what it is. I would buy it again if it was lost/stolen, providing I could find such a rare instrument again. // 9

Comments