Marcus Henderson Apparition review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Marcus Henderson Apparition

Price paid: € 545

Purchased from: Thomann

I play mostly metal and industrial and this guitar does both well. This is clearly a dedicated metal axe, but does handle other genres such as blues well too. I run it trough a Boss Metal Core or Metal Master to a Roland Cube 30X. It gives you the classic EMG sound with a rough touch.

I play mostly metal and industrial and other heavier genres and this guitar is a perfect match for this. I've been playing for three years now and this is my second electric guitar. I also own a Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 5 bass, Epiphone steel string and a Hagstrm classical guitar. I just love everything about this guitar and if lost I would buy it again. I compared this guitar to few LTD 400 series guitars but chose this because of the Original Floyd. Only thing I wished this was neck-thru nut I'm fine with the specs.

After the bridge was fixed up I haven't any problems with this thing. I tuned it when I got it and it's still in perfect tune after 2 months. Bad thing was the straplocks. The locking system was poor and it keeps falling off and I'm gonna change the locks to Warwick locks soon. I am sure it will withstand live playing after I change the straplocks.

When I got this guitar the only thing badly set was the bridge. It was bent fully to its back and caused strings buzzing against the frets. That was propably just because of climate change when it got shipped here in Finland during the bitter winter and was easily fixed up. After that I've had nothing to complain about it.

This Epiphone Apparition is made in Korea, not sure about the year. It has 24 frets on a Ebony fretboard with a scythes inlay at 12 fret. Neck profile is called speedtaper and is very thin and fast to play. Body is Mahogany with quilted maple top and cool midnight ebony finish. Neck is set-in. Body is the Epiphone Futura and looks like a skinny Explorer. Bridge is Original Floyd Rose. It has active EMG pickups with 81 in bridge and 85 in neck. It has one volume knob, one tone knob and a momentary kill button.

EpiExplorer
    Is that the right picture? looks like a normal Futura Prophecy. But the rig setup you have there is dead perfect for home playing. Especially the ML-2. By the way, what the hell is a momentary kill button? Sounds like something John Petrucci would have on those 'Pyscho Lessons' videos. 'Well, you see, uhhh, this wah wah pedal here, was made by uhhh, Mr Jim Dunlop himself. He did everything correctly so I didnt have to kill him. These pickups here were hand wound by Tony Blair himself. This button on my amp here changes the tempreture of the sun, though I've never needed to us it before.' XD
    SOADriff
    Time Seller wrote: Piss-poor guitar. Nice to see proper ratings on there.
    I'm sorry, but how the **** is that a piss poor guitar. How much of a snob can you get?
    SOADriff
    Time Seller wrote: Piss-poor guitar. Nice to see proper ratings on there.
    I'd take it over a gibson LP studio in a second.
    ReynboLightning
    never played it but judging by the specs and price does this guitar really deserve less than a 6.5?
    r0ckth3d34n
    More guitars should really come with a killswitch. And fewer guitars should come with EMG's. Thus far, our choices are this, the Bucket Head LP signature and two Epiphone Special's. And who wants to drill into their own guitar anyway?
    sweepickit
    All I will say is anyone who knocks this guitar is really out of touch with reality. It is well finished, looks and sounds great and although obviously aimed at heavier players it cleans up well too. I play in three bands, and the Apparition is my main guitar for my heaviest gigging band. It gets the nod over my American made PRS for attitude and sound. I got it for 310 used with hard case, so who can complain about that!
    bahman1234
    HI friend... i ask a Question ?? This guitar is made ​​in which country? The guitar bridge is Floyd Rose Original that made in Germany or korea???
    sevarg1028
    [quote]EpiExplorer wrote: Is that the right picture? looks like a normal Futura Prophecy. How about the scythe inlays and how it says apparition at the headstock. This guitar should be preferred over a Futura FX because it has the same features (24 frets, EMG's) but adds the killswitch and also a cutaway that wasn't mentioned in the review. This ease of access to the higher frets pushes this guitar above the Futura FX. High recommendation to shell out another $50 for the cutaway and killswitch.
    Novada
    I own this beast and I gotta say it's a great guitar. The action is low, although the low e string does buzz sometimes but that's an easy fix. The neck is thin and for someone like me with smaller hands it makes a difference. the cut away seems to me to be noticeably deeper than a normal explorer which I personally like. My only problem is the strap buttons, not the strap locks. The screw for the buttons actually stripped out of place on the tail of mine and from what I can tell they were just installed poorly. Everything else is fantastic though, it's a great guitar for a great price. I originally bought a stock gibson explorer for $1300 new at guitar center and it was just a piece of crud. I found the Henderson at a local music shop for $800 and it's just much better quality, except the strap buttons.
    ZA58
    The guitar's look is too plastic for me I like a woodish finsh and something that looks more real
    conroy91
    i played one, its great... And Momentary Kill Button. Classic! I love that.. I think ill stop calling it a killswitch now Momentary Kill Button Engage!!!! xD Good review though, i have the same rig, well i have a cry baby and a few EHX stuff on my board as well but pretty close. I don't own this guitar but i wouldn't mind it if it weren't for the shape, it plays great and for the price you cant go wrong. Stop being such prudes and rate this like a $500 dollar guitar should be! Its obviously no P.R.S but its a value priced guitar, it wont be perfect., Douchebags..
    metalicizer
    I own this. Saved up $900 for it, then found it at Musician's Friend for $400. Best deal of my life.
    GuitarMozis
    EpiExplorer wrote: By the way, what the hell is a momentary kill button? Sounds like something John Petrucci would have on those 'Pyscho Lessons' videos.
    That would be a Killswitch my good man/woman/hermaphrodite
    benx3000
    A guitar with a killswitch already in it? EMGS? Im sold. This is probably my favorite EMG 81-85 guitar, Besides the Testament one... It's such a common combo though, im getting kinda tired of it.
    guitarsftw
    Yeah, it's the right pic, you can see the killswitch. Anyway, great guitar for metal, especially in the price range.
    mekani
    If you play heavy riffs, it makes sense checking out how would 85 sound in the bridge position. I've put it in my LP, and it sounds much better then 81 (my opinion). It's really easy, because of quick connect. Anyway, it looks like a killer. Bet it sounds like that, too.