Matt Heafy Les Paul Custom-7 review by Epiphone

• Neck Joint: glued in at deep-set neck joint with "Axcess" heel
  • Truss Rod: adjustable
  • Truss Rod Cover: 2-ply (black/white); "MKH Les Paul Custom" in white
  • Fingerboard: ebony
  • Fingerboard inlay: pearloid block inlays
  • Radius: 12"
  • Frets: 22 medium jumbo
  • Scale Length: 24.75"
  • Nut width: 1 7/8"
  • Binding: Body Top - 7 ply (white/black), Headstock - 5 ply (white/black), Fingerboard - 1 ply (white)
  • Pickups: EMG-707 (neck), EMG-81-7 (bridge) (pickups are powered by a 9 volt battery accessible on the back of guitar)
  • Controls: Black Speed Knobsneck volume, neck tone w/KillPot, bridge volume, bridge tone
  • Bridge: Tune-o-matic-7/Stopbar
  • Output Jack: heavy duty Epiphone 1/4" non-rotating
  • Machine Heads: deluxe die-cast with black metal tulip buttons 14:1
  • Color: ebony (gloss)
  • Typical Weight (+/- 5%): 9.7 lbs
  • Strings: D'Addario 10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46, 56

Perfect for progressive djent music. We are a dark metal band from Venice, Italy with extreme prog influences that bland together electronic and complex metal patterns. I use Randall 200w Combo and POD HD500X, sound very clear and polite... With a big range of frequency. Perfect for heavy distortion and synth sounds, I've connected to the guitar an extra midi pick up for use an external synth and some VST plugins. And the guitar is perfect with his different range of options on the pick up select.

No flaws and the fabric sets were perfect when I buy it! The pick up are extremely good very aggressive and the same time full of harmonics and the bass sounds are very full of frequencies. The black hardware is so shinny and is still perfect after I very abused of it on the stages. The guitar rarely loose their tunes also if hit the strings with volence and this is quite good when I mix the sound with the midi synth device! All the materials in the guitar is superior for the Epiphone Standard I give the highest vote for this guitar.

Great durability and performance during the last 2 years and live is perfect suit for my exigences. Designed in close collaboration with Matt Heafy, each Ltd. Ed. Matt Heafy Les Paul Custom reflects Heafy's distinctive approach to guitar, which has earned him and Trivium scores of dedicated fans around the world. The sound and performance is still good laso using different type of amplifier and effects. The scale length is 24. 75" and the ebony fingerboard has a 12" radius and 22 medium jumbo frets and features pearloid block inlays, which seem to practically glow in the dark against the Ebony finish.

Dark progressive music, with djent and extreme metal influences, I play from over 20 years, I have Cort 7 Extreme Evil and a Shecther Omen 8 strings guitar. For sure I suggest this guitar to everybody who loves 7 strings guitar and I would rebuy it if it was roberred. Is extremly light and powerfull and very easy to play. I've tried also a ESP Eclipse 407 but it was very heavy and the sound was too sharp. This seven-string is a breakthrough in contemporary metal and hard rock sound. And I f you think that is a limited edition guitar I suggest you to search for it and make it yours!

the_bi99man
    7 string with only 24.75" scale length? I mean, I haven't played it, but that does not sound ideal.
    FrauVfromPoB
    Yeah man I wouldn't go lower that 25.5 for a 7 string. It's so weird to me when guitar makers do that. All of Ibanez's 7's are 25.5's except for the hollowbody Artcore 7, which is 24.75 like this one and it intonates like ass.
    Sakke
    Sure you mean "shorter"? Correcting aside, yeah, you're quite on point, except Ibanez has quite a few sevens with longer scale length and Ibanez isn't the only one to make sevens or sevens with only 25.5 scale length or longer. Plenty of choices in the market. My 7-string, '99 UV, has 25.5 scale length and it works mighty fine for me.
    FrauVfromPoB
    Shorter and lower both mean a smaller number. Obviously you still knew what I meant, ya fuckbag. You're just trying to sound smart. And I suppose I should have said all Ibanez's 7's are *at least* 25.5 except the hollowbody. And I'm very aware that there are other makers of 7's out there, with scales of anywhere from 24.75 to 30 inches. Basically every major brand makes one. Most brands make 8's with long scales too. Several brands make 9's. It's a whole new world, a new fantastic point of view. No one can tell us no, or where to go, etc. Whoop de fuckin do.Moral of the story, I would love to have a hollowbody 7 string but Ibanez, who are the only major manufacturer with a production model that meets that specification, in a mind-boggling maneuver, gave it a 24.75 inch scale length, which no jazz player or any player in their right mind would waste their time on. And yer a kunt m80.
    Sakke
    Whoa, man.. chill. What's with all this slander? And saying a "lower scale length" doesn't make any sense. Sorry.
    RCA1186
    And you're right. I own the guitar, the scale length really presents a problem, you need to go a lot thicker than you normally would for a 7 string with strings and the result is it doesn't sound that good.
    BlackDeath92
    Hell, even 7-strings with a 25.5" scale length sound muddy and the low B feels like playing a wet spaghetti noodle. I don't like any shorter than 26.5" On the other hand, 24.75" is a standard LP length, so if you like that feel, a 7 string variant might be cool.
    Radzilla7
    That doesn't sound like a scale issue, it sounds like the usual problem with the low strings on extended range guitars not being thick enough. I reckon the higher strings would feel too tight on a longer neck.
    Shavyi
    I own that guitar for 2 years now, drop A with a .60 for the lowest string : no buzz, no shitty noises. I'm pretty ok to say that 24.75 scale for a seven string would probably suck, but for this guitar, the outstanding building quality for the price saves it all.
    Zan595
    Maybe not ideal, but it'll get the job done. You just need much thicker strings than usual, which could deter a few people. I have one of those newer seven string Icemans Ibanez put out with the same scale length, and it feels great and intonates well with a set of 11's and a low .74 for the B string.
    pressureproject
    Does Heafy really play a $500 guitar? To record and play live consistently? Hard to believe that
    godzillarissa
    Is the idea of signature guitars really 1:1 replication, though? I always understood it like "Here's a Gibson that comes really close to what I play" and "Here's an Epiphone that has a lot of features I like, but is affordable, too". The signature is just them associating their name with the product to show approval. Like "I, Matt Heafy, say that this Epiphone is really good.".
    Cazman
    I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite Les Paul on the Citadel!
    pressureproject
    Usually when they get endorsements, they are obligated to play those instruments - the exact ones. It would be fraud if it wasn't...at least to me it would be. My experience with Epiphone has been horrendous, and I just can't imagine a pro playing one. He can obviously afford whatever he wants as far as a guitar goes, that's why it surprises me. I'm not saying this is bad for bedroom playing, but for the rigors of the road? And playing the aggressive stuff he plays? I just can't see it.
    milkface
    Awesome that he plays such a guitar and then makes it available for everyone else. Fan love right there.
    franciscanv
    Sucks this doesn't come left handed. Been wanting to at least try a 7 string, and this seemed like a good place to start! Oh well
    craigb47
    do you guys know any 7 string left guitars?
    LightxGrenade
    Carvin makes plenty of 7 string guitars in 25.5" and some offer 27" scales and in a number of different body styles. Tele, single cut, super strat, headless, dimebag darrell dean style body too. Most are neck-thru but they do have one bolt on model that they offer for 7 strings. And they most certainly do lefty guitars since all their guitars are spec'd out by the customer They start at high 900s low 1,000 USD and go up depending on how you customize them to your liking.
    bmac1195
    check out Agile guitars, I have a 7 string interceptor 725 (25.5" scale) and I know they make left handed guitars in a ton of different configs and scale lengths. I love mine, and they run "only" around $500-$600, would highly recommend.
    pedromiles101
    I totally agree. I actually asked Matt on Twitter about releasing a lefty version and he just said, "Flip it upside down - Hendrix style. It'll rock!" Like nah man lol. Maybe with Corey's signature, but not a LP.
    troyofyort
    Lol the problem with that is that hendrix did it with a double cutaway guitar. You lose like 5-6 frets of access when playing a LP upside down.
    RCA1186
    I have to say I own this guitar, and I don't think this review is really accurate. The standard Les Paul scale length really does effect the play-ability in my opinion. Lowest you can go is B without getting super thick strings and even then the B is really loose and floppy. The tuners on it are cheap and don't hold tune very well. I didn't think the EMGs sounded too great either. If I could do it again I'd have gotten an EC407 instead.
    T00DEEPBLUE
    I've played the 6 string version of this guitar. The tuners are solid and hold tune just fine. Tuners are very rarely the cause of poor tuning stability. It's honestly one of my favorite Les Pauls Epiphone makes right now. The Axcess Heel and the ebony fretboard are really nice.
    Shavyi
    Same here, the tuners are no problem, the tunings are holding the tunes way better that my other guitar in the same price range.
    bollo91
    Own the six string myself. Actually sold my Gibson for it as I believe this plays much better. Currently considering picking up the 7-String as well as I have wanted to delve into 7 string territory for a while, this seems like a good option. As far as tuner issues, there has never been an issue with strings and tunings, and I alternate alot between tunings
    DeadHeart7
    I have a prs seven string and it fits me perfectly. I think it has a 25.5 inch scale, but with my 10-60 strings it intonates perfectly.
    GS LEAD 5
    Saying that a 27" scale is needed for an F# implies that around 24 is enough for a B, since that's roughly the length of the string when you play a B on the 5th fret.