Matt Heafy Les Paul Custom-7 review by Epiphone

Body: mahogany
Top: plain maple veneer
Neck: mahogany
Neck Profile: 1960's SlimTaper; D profile
Neck Joint: glued in at deep-set neck joint with "Axcess" heel
Truss Rod: adjustable
Truss Rod Cover: 2-ply (black/white); "MKH Les Paul Custom" in white
Fingerboard: ebony
Fingerboard inlay: pearloid block inlays
Radius: 12"
Frets: 22 medium jumbo
Scale Length: 24.75"
Nut width: 1 7/8"
Binding: Body Top - 7 ply (white/black), Headstock - 5 ply (white/black), Fingerboard - 1 ply (white)
Pickups: EMG-707 (neck), EMG-81-7 (bridge) (pickups are powered by a 9 volt battery accessible on the back of guitar)
Controls: Black Speed Knobs: neck volume, neck tone w/KillPot, bridge volume, bridge tone
Bridge: Tune-o-matic-7/Stopbar
Output Jack: heavy duty Epiphone 1/4" non-rotating
Machine Heads: deluxe die-cast with black metal tulip buttons 14:1
Color: ebony (gloss)
Typical Weight (+/- 5%): 9.7 lbs
Strings: D'Addario 10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46, 56

Came shipped from previous owner in an excellent SKB Hardcase

I play anything from classic "dad-rock" to modern deathcore/hardcore and this fits it awesomely. Usually, I keep it in standard or at least drop B, but if I were to tune lower, I'd probably put a thicker gauge string on (but I don't need to tune lower because I also play an 8 string). I play it through a Line 6 POD HD500 and they complement each other very well, although I haven't played it through a "real" amp yet. The only gripe I have for it is that the Killpot does not always work, but I rarely use it, so it doesn't bother me much.

I didn't receive it from the factory, but the setup on arrival from the owner before me was stupendous. The pickups were adjusted to what I would set them at, but (being on of the only things wrong with the guitar on arrival, the other I'll get to in a second) the pickup screws were/are stripped, so I can't really adjust them even if I wanted to unless I replaced them. The other flaw that this had when it arrived to me was a hairline finish crack near the neck heel, which doesn't affect playing at all.

If I were to play out, I would absolutely use this in that situation. It seems like it would hold up to the task very well. I replaced the strap buttons with Dunlop strap locks, but the stock buttons seemed to do their job. Then only thing that I would be worried about in a live situation would be my dumbass-self forgetting to unplug it and it running out of battery, but that is why I keep a spare battery! The finish seems pretty durable. Even in the crack, the finish isn't chipping away easily. I personally think that a guitar that shows it's age looks a hell of a lot cooler than a guitar that's been kept in perfect condition.

As I said earlier, I play anything from classic "dad-rock" to modern deathcore/hardcore, meaning that I know a lot of covers, but prefer to write on the the heavier side, which this thing is great for. I've been playing for about 6 years, seriously for probably about 4 1/2, and I've had TONS of gear over the years, but this is one of the best instruments I've personally ever played. I currently have an out of commission MIJ Fender Strat that is my main 6 string, but I would definitely play an entire show with this 7-string. I have actually been interested in purchasing one since Epiphone released them, so I would buy another one if it ever got stolen. I absolutely love the traditional "Les Paul" feel about this, and the Axcess Heel really makes me love it more. I feel like I wouldn't like it as much if it had the more traditional, bolt-on neck joint, but that's also my opinion. I also thing the Ebony fingerboard looks absolutely stellar on this particular guitar. Usually, I'm a maple fretboard guy, but this is sooo pretty. I do wish I had locking tuners, but that's a mod I can make myself.

brian.tourville
    If it weren't for the near Dictatorship Nation Workforce you'd be paying out your sleeve for this . Woodwork Fit & Finish on par with Cork Sniffing Gibson Swooner instruments .