Negative Flying V review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Negative Flying V

Price paid: C$ 450

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Personally, I really enjoy the sounds I've gotten from this guitar. The clean tones are just fantastic, really warm sounding kind of like a Les Paul. And the distorted sounds are really good, especially when I use my Boss MT-2 on the clean channel on my Marshall MG30FX. I found the settings I had on other channels were a bit weaker though, nothing a little tweaking of the amp couldn't handle. On the distorted channels, it has a very bright yet at the same time, very full sound. It's a very versatile guitar everything from Thrash metal to a nice blues/jazz sound (I mostly play thrash though).

Overall, I'm very impressed by this guitar, especially because when I first sat down with it at the store I wasn't quite sure about it, but after a while I was in love with it. I mostly play Thrash metal, and it's a perfect match, considering a lot of the great thrash metal players also used Flying v's. I also own an Ibanez RGA42 and I gotta say, I'm thinking of selling it because this V is so good and it's been getting all the attention. If it was lost or stolen I probably would get another one if I had the money for it! My favourite feature is the pickups, like I said they are absolutely fantastic! The only thin I wish it had would be the Vibrola bridges you see on older Flying V's.

This guitar is definitely trustworthy for playing live, Although anybody with half a brain will know to bring a backup guitar, you never know when a string is just gonna pop. The strap buttons on the the guitar are very solid, the definitely won't come out our slip the strap of.

The guy at the store set it up for me and I couldn't ask for any better! A few flaws with the finish though. It seems some of the paint from the front of the headstock had started to drip down the edges a bit, nothing to noticeable though. Also there feels like there are small clumps of painted that could have used a little sanding after the paint job. Over all though it's really great playing it.

It was made in 2009, in Japan. 22 frets, on a mahogany neck with maple fretboard. White Mahogany Flying V body. Locktone tune-o-matic bridge, mini Qtuners. Passive Alnico V humbuckers. 2 Volume and 1 tone speed knobs. It's a really impressive looking guitar in my opinion.

jinsu2301
    ...you're kidding, right?
    Minivirus2
    jinsu2301 wrote: And the distorted sounds are really good, especially when I use my Boss MT-2 on the clean channel on my Marshall MG30FX. ...you're kidding, right?
    I was going to post something along the same lines this morning, but figured I'd wait it out. How did I know I'd see it sooner or later XD
    timothy95
    It might sound a little "n00b" ish, about the amp and the pedal, but i dont a give a sweet flying ****, it packs a mean punch, perfect for the mid eighties thrash sound.
    timothy95
    They really are nice pickups, and i wasnt sure about the maple fretboard either, but i really enjoy it now. Personally i think it feels a bit faster than rosewood, but thats just my opinion.
    theogonia777
    I had to do a quick Google search to find out what "Negative" meant. I was kind of disappointed.
    MaggaraMarine
    acc_corey3 wrote: I guess we're tired of reading about "using a valve amplifier blablittyblah" but... mate, it can't sound good through that amp and pedal, that is not real guitar tone lol
    It's not just that it doesn't sound good. That's just the most stereotypical n00b setup ever that makes you think if the reviewer was trolling. Maybe if the amp was Line 6 Spider 15, it would be a bit more noob.
    PLasmosis
    I'm not liking that maple neck with the black headstock, but that aside, it's an interesting look and it's nice to see another guy playing the MG series. All that aside though, the Alnico pickups are an interesting choice- I have the Gibson Flying V Faded and that comes with passive ceramic 498R and 500T pickups, as I understand it, Alnico pickups generally give a warmer, sofer rone, so that could be where the surprisingly nice clean tone is coming from.
    acc_corey3