Negative Flying V Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 08/03/2012 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Epiphone: Negative Flying V
review (1) pictures (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Negative Flying V Reviewed by: timothy95, on august 03, 2012

Price paid: C$ 450

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: It was made in 2009, in Japan. 22 frets, on a mahogany neck with maple fretboard. White Mahogany Flying V body. Locktone tune-o-matic bridge, mini Qtuners. Passive Alnico V humbuckers. 2 Volume and 1 tone speed knobs. It's a really impressive looking guitar in my opinion. // 8

Sound: Personally, I really enjoy the sounds I've gotten from this guitar. The clean tones are just fantastic, really warm sounding kind of like a Les Paul. And the distorted sounds are really good, especially when I use my Boss MT-2 on the clean channel on my Marshall MG30FX. I found the settings I had on other channels were a bit weaker though, nothing a little tweaking of the amp couldn't handle. On the distorted channels, it has a very bright yet at the same time, very full sound. It's a very versatile guitar everything from Thrash metal to a nice blues/jazz sound (I mostly play thrash though). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guy at the store set it up for me and I couldn't ask for any better! A few flaws with the finish though. It seems some of the paint from the front of the headstock had started to drip down the edges a bit, nothing to noticeable though. Also there feels like there are small clumps of painted that could have used a little sanding after the paint job. Over all though it's really great playing it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is definitely trustworthy for playing live, Although anybody with half a brain will know to bring a backup guitar, you never know when a string is just gonna pop. The strap buttons on the the guitar are very solid, the definitely won't come out our slip the strap of. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I'm very impressed by this guitar, especially because when I first sat down with it at the store I wasn't quite sure about it, but after a while I was in love with it. I mostly play Thrash metal, and it's a perfect match, considering a lot of the great thrash metal players also used Flying v's. I also own an Ibanez RGA42 and I gotta say, I'm thinking of selling it because this V is so good and it's been getting all the attention. If it was lost or stolen I probably would get another one if I had the money for it! My favourite feature is the pickups, like I said they are absolutely fantastic! The only thin I wish it had would be the Vibrola bridges you see on older Flying V's. // 9

Comments