Nick Valensi Riviera P-94 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Nick Valensi Riviera P-94

Price paid: C$ 750

Purchased from: The Interweb

I'm a rhythm guitar player and singer, so my style and sound is very melodic and chord-esque. This guitar sounds amazing for what I play. When I'm playing clean, it has a beautiful, clear tone (I play through a Fender HotRod Deluxe (1X12) and when I go into overdrive, it rocks just right! The stuff I'm doing is classic rock-ish to modern rockish (say, CCR to The Who to Pearl Jam to The Strokes). The only potential problem for some may be that the P-94's, being high gain pickups, do hum a little when not being played. However, if you are a gigging musician, like moi, then you shouldn't care, because the din in the room is WAY louder than the incidental hum! However, if you are a basement tone freak, this may bother you. If it does, why did you go for P-94s?!

If you love semi-hollows, classic rock, modern rock, if you love guitars this is a good one! (If you can find it) And at a good price, comparatively. It's not a Gibson, but this Epiphone has it's own charms, not least of which is that Epis are lighter! So less back trouble in the long run! I hope to god someone doesn't steal this one, because it was hard enough finding a way to get this guitar the FIRST time! I mean, I'm in a major city (Montreal) and I checked an even more major city (Toronto), why would we not have any of these in Canada? Boggles my mind.

No problems with it yet. I've gigged for months with it, and it's still going strong! Personally, it's the only electric guitar I need, though I have a back-up Epiphone Les Paul Studio in case I break a string during a set! I can't imagine this thing conking out on me, but as with anything man made, anything could happen! I don't think it is likely though!

The set up was okay (I bought this over eBay, since I couldn't find one ANYWHERE in Canada! ) from the place that sold it to me. I brought it to my Luthier in Montreal shortly after I got it to fix it just right. This thing plays like butter. I use Jazz gauge strings (since the heavier gauge G string sounds better on semi-hollows) which is fine since I don't solo too much. This really gives the whole guitar a warmer, fuller sound. The colour is what some people may not like about this guitar. It's orange. More Orange than the pictures let on. I would go so far to say that it's a light racing Orange. When the guitar arrived, I was a little surprised at first, since it is supposed to be a 'Natural' finish (or so Epiphone's site says), but this is definitely Orange. That said, when you are on stage, this guitar pops! People freak out. It is not a colour people are used to seeing! As a result, people are constantly asking about it. Personally, I've grown to love the colour. But to each his/her own!

The Nick Valensi Edition Riviera is basically an Epiphone Riviera with P-94 pickups instead of the P-90's it would normally be equipped with. Everything else is basically identical in apperance to a Dot, Casino, Sheridon II or Gibson 335. It is semi-hollow goodness!