Prophecy Les Paul Custom EX review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Prophecy Les Paul Custom EX

Purchased from: Promenade Music

This guitar is great for metal. I'm a big fan of In Flames and it does resemble their sound a little. I use it through a Line 6 spider valve and it sounds brutal with distortion. The bridge pickup sound heavy and defined when playing rhythm but a bit raw for solos while the neck pickup sounds very muddy when playing rhythms while sounding rich and smooth for solos. On clean, the bridge pickup is very scratchy and driven but the neck pickup really shines when on clean as it sounds full and smooth.

Again, I play alot of metal and this is a really good match. I've been playing for about a year and a half and I've had this for about a year. If it were stolen, I would hunt down the thief and take it back or I would buy it again (although first choice is preferred) as its one of the best les pauls I have ever played. I have compared this with the rest of the Epiphone Les Paul range and none have matched it.

The Strap Locks died after two gigs (which allowed it to drop to the floor during a practice session), but apart from that it has faired very well against my onslaughts and playing live. Its also a heavy guitar and after a while it starts to get tedious halling its ass around. The hardware on his thing will definitly last for a good amount of time before giving in and the finish seems like it will last.

The action on this was about average, but I soon lowered it to my preference. The pickups required a few little adjustments but again that's due to my picky nature. The hardware was perfect, the electronic were also perfect, but there is a thin line of exposed wood below the binding near the jack. The strap locks that I got with this seemed ok but I quickly broke them. My suggestion, get new ones. But yeah, the only thing that lets it down it the small imperfection with the binding.

I'm not sure where or when this guitar was made. It has 24 jumbo frets and a 24.75 scale with an ebony fretboard and blade inlays. It has a set mahogany speedtaper neck with a white binding. The mahogany body has a highly figured quilt maple top. There is also a locktone tune-o-matic/ stopbar. theres an EMG 81 in the bridge and an EMG 85 in the neck. theres a volume pot and tone pot as well as a three way pickup selector. The machine heads are grover. The finish is midnight ebony.

silversoulcage
    Sounds pretty good for an epi, though you can't go wrong with the EMG 81/85 combo you could throw them in anything and it would roar. I put a set in one of my Gibson LP's and it sounds AMAZING. Good review man.
    Briar30
    lildude_6859
    Briar30 wrote: Hey good review man. I am about to get the SG version of this series, except it is the GX instead of the EX. Surprisingly, this SG is actually pretty light. I recommend it.
    +1...that's what i'm getting after my next few paychecks!
    MetalManiac_86
    I've had this guitar since the Prophecy line was introduced and definitely can't complain... Pretty top notch guitar for an Epiphone. Guitar was setup just how I like it right from the factory. I drag it around and play it aggressively and haven't had any problems yet. There IS two TINY cracks cracks in the binding along the neck which isn't even really noticeable. Speaking of that, the neck on this guitar is my favorite thing about it. The satin finish is smooth and fast. Like he said, this guitar is rock/metal basically all the way. Check this out for sure if that's your thing.
    EpiExplorer
    MetalManiac_86
    EpiExplorer wrote: Best looking of the Prophecies, in red and gold of course. But its harder to play, cuz its bastard heavy. The futura looks really ugly, but the SG is probably the more desirable one. Especially with the Dirty Fingers :3
    Yeah the SG is a lot lighter, but I despise the look (ugly imo) and more so, the feel of the guitar. If there is a guitar for everybody that just doesn't doesn't suit them whatsoever, for me its an SG. I just can't play the damn thing. That's just me though... any guitar in this line should be a good buy.
    livewire76
    ?? Already done a review on this about a year ago.. Thought it still was posted.. gonna go check now :p Great guitar though, recomended!