Prophecy LP Custom GX review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Prophecy LP Custom GX

Price paid: € 549

Purchased from: Max Guitar Store

I play different styles, from blues to metal. Thanks to the Dirty Fingers this guitar has incredible amounts of sustain for a passive pick-up, while delivering a thick, distorted sound, comparable to that of active pick-ups. Pull the coil-tap volume knob and you have instant access to the a perfectly clear single-coil sound. The guitar seems to deliver anything from 60's classic hard rock to 90's grunge. I wouldn't use it to play metal, though it could handle it.

This is a serious alternative to guitars with active pick-ups, when you're not really looking for that Mesa Boogie sound but still want a thick, powerfull sound. I'd probably buy it again if it were stolen. I chose it after comparing it with a Gibson Explorer (496R/500T), a Slash Signature Epiphone LP (Alnico Pro II) and a ESP LTD EC401VF (Seymour Duncan JB/59), while looking for a guitar with passive pickups. I decided to go with this one because it had the sound I was looking for and I never regretted it.

It seems like a solid guitar, very well put together. The action of the tuners, knobs and switches is solid and precise, inspiring confidence in the guitar's reliability. I immediately replaced the factory strap buttons with the strap locks that came with the guitar, so that's not a concern anymore. I wouldn't gig with it without a back-up, but that's valid for any guitar, it has nothing to do with this one.

When I bought it only needed a minor bridge lift. It sounds perfect now and even with such a flat fretboard (14" radius), 2-note bends on the high frets don't mute at all. The satin finish on the back of the neck can cause some unwanted friction, but I plan to have it polished/glossed soon. The overall quality of the finish is impressive. The weight is very well balanced, unlike other LPs the neck doesn't drop down when you let go. However, like most LPs, it's a heavy guitar that sometimes be tiring to play for more than 2 hours.

The guitar was made in December 2007 in China. It has a mahogany body with quilt maple top, finished in a gloss Black Cherry. The set mahogany neck is Epiphone's own "SpeedTaper" neck with a slim D profile and satin finish, with 24 jumbo frets on a 24.75"-scale ebony fretboard. Two Gibson Dirty Fingers humbuckers are controlled via a volume (push/pull coil-tap) and a tone knob plus the typical LP 3-way selector. The entire hardware has a gold finish: LockTone stopbar/Tune-O-Matic bridge set, volume & tone knobs, Grover tuners and Epiphone straplocks.

oOJonnyLOo
    The picture doesn't look right, i have this guitar, and the 24th fret is as easy as the 22nd on most LP's. Making the 22nd fret much easier to reach live etc. Also i have no problem playing metal with it (it mostly depends on ur damn amp)
    jean_genie
    I have heard many people claim that these are not 'real' Dirty Fingers. Or Dirty Fingerses. Gibson claims that they're the real deal, and the only change is the gold plating on the polepieces, which obviously doesn't affect tone. Aside from the wood, Epis are also known for shoddy electronics and wiring. Especially the wiring. I'd bet good money that if you rewired the Prophecy with better parts and braided wire, it'd sound thicker and meatier without any other changes. To answer another question: the pickups are semi-clean. Rolling off the volume a little helps, especially once it's rewired. It sounds plenty clean playing out live, but I wouldn't go recording anything with it.
    jean_genie
    Um ... why? The Dirty Fingers was what Iommi used for years and years until he got his own pickup.
    cts0209
    arent the dirty fingers on this guitar the gibson ones because i havnt seen any other types
    icantbuyafender
    SOADriff wrote: nice! it seems pretty sweet i'd just replace the gibson pickups for some SD's and ur rollin!
    JACKASS. There, someone HAD to say it.
    filip_dinev
    haha I know what you're talking about man But, man, if we see the things this way, we will never buy a guitar... there are always some people who will find a negative thing on the guitar... and I would not buy a 600Euro guitar and change the pickups...
    J.J.G.
    songmaster wrote: Wow those higher frets look really difficult to reach
    thats one of the problems with single cutway guitars. Altough the cut on this one is indeed too small but i guess that the only les paul that as a deeper cut is the slash gibson model that as 1 and 1/2 inch plus.
    J.J.G.
    s
    lockwolf wrote: No doubt a good guitar. The only problem I have with it is that, at least in my opinion, the Dirty Fingers on these sounds different than a standard Dirty Fingers that you buy. I played one of these shortly after I put a Dirty Fingers in my guitar and it didn't sound as thick, didn't feel as hot and didn't give as rich of feedback (I used a Spider Valve 2x12 on both tests). Idk if it was just that one but it didn't feel like the same DF that was in my guitar.
    the sound of your guitar varies a lot depending on the woods and on the kind of strings. Its natural that the pickups sound diferent on diferent guitars. cmon if the sound was just the product of pickups then we would be buying squiers and then replacing the pickups with a pair of emg's or duncans.
    luyano
    how does the neck pickup sound clean and disorted? i heared that because of the 24 frets, the neck pickup is sightly nearer to de bridge pickup altering the sound is this very different to a standard Epiphone/Gibson Les Paul neck pickup?
    lockwolf
    .QOTSA.
    I really want one of these, they just look amazing and have the features to back it up as well. Wouldn't even leave you too out of pocket either.
    Dnvnff22
    I have the Prophecy SG which comes with the EMG 81/85 pickups. I'm lovin those, but it seems like the rest of the specs are pretty much the same.
    LouieTM
    I love the sound of the SD Alnico II Pro's too, but the main reason I bought this guitar was the sound of the Dirty Fingers and I'm not going to replace them.
    SOADriff