Prophecy LP Custom GX review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Prophecy LP Custom GX

Purchased from: MF

My playing and writing style is very 70's hard rock. Everyone tells me I have a real Clapton/David Gilmour flair (thanks folks, I'll take that). I use all your Standard effects, wah, flange, chorus, echo, etc. Running through a Peavey XXL head into Custom cabs. I'm not very big on describing sounds, it does what you'd expect a Les Paul to do and then some with all the tone options. I'm an old fart and don't play metal or anything, I'm more of a Frank Marino player and it covers Frank excellently! I have played Les Pauls all my life and returned some Epi's before because they just didn't feel or sound quite right. This is most definitely a keeper, plus it's one-of-a-kind making it even more desireable.

Been playing for 43 years, always in the 70's vein, Nugent, BOC, Pat Travers, etc. This guitar, of course, handles all of my style easily. As for my love of this thing, I used to be the snobbiest of LP purists in the 70's. We all used to stand around and scoff at Epiphones, "Oh look, a fake Les Paul, how cute". I swore I would never own one. Never picked one up to try. Now I will never pay high dollar for a Gibson again. If this is the direction Epiphone is headed in it's a good one. From now on when I shop for a new axe I will definitely look at Epi's first to see what they offer!

Can't speak yet to reliability and durability? So far I have only used it and home and a couple of practices, so it hasn't been banged around yet?

The factory setup sucked. When I got it the strings were probably close to a quarter inch high. I cranked the tune-o-matic down to the strings being .040" off the frets and have no buzz or dead spots anywhere! As for everything else it had no flaws anywhere. Fit and finish were good, not a ding or scratch anywhere on it. I changed the strings right off the bat. It comes with 10's, but I use 8's, hence the tune-o-matic change. I set the intonation, but only 3 strings were a hair sharp.

Let's see, I have the black cherry LP Prophecy GX and have owned it for a couple of months now. It was made in February 2010 in China at the Qingdao plant. It has a 24 fret ebony fretboard which is smooth as silk and covered in blade MOP inlays and jumbo frets. The scale, unlike most have reported is not 24.75", but 25.00". It's a full first fret longer than my Gibson LP. The body is exactly the same size as my Gibby and the fretboard stops in the body the same place as my Gibson too. The body is 2-piece with a mahogany back and the quilted maple cap. It has a mahogany neck also covered in a satin finish. I like it because sweaty hands don't stick to it which makes it very fast. It has all gold hardware with your Standard tune-o-matic Bridge and stop tailpiece, but I added a gold Les Trem to mine. Even with the Les Trem it holds tune just fine and has Grover Machine Heads. It comes with the Gibson Dirty Fingers pups which are very bright with my setup and just scream. It has coil tapping, but only 1 volume and 1 tone pot (the new model coming has the Standard 4 pots), so it's not for everybody, but the tones that come out of it are amazing! Ever hear a Les Paul sound like a Strat? Mine does! It also has the Standard LP 3-position toggle Switch for the pups. This is also easily the heaviest Les Paul I have ever owned (about 40). What surprised me most is that it has that solid 70's Gibson LP Custom feel to it. It definitely doesn't feel like your Standard Epi!

straybeat
    MaggaraMarine
    J.J.G. wrote: slockwolf wrote: No doubt a good guitar. The only problem I have with it is that, at least in my opinion, the Dirty Fingers on these sounds different than a standard Dirty Fingers that you buy. I played one of these shortly after I put a Dirty Fingers in my guitar and it didn't sound as thick, didn't feel as hot and didn't give as rich of feedback (I used a Spider Valve 2x12 on both tests). Idk if it was just that one but it didn't feel like the same DF that was in my guitar. the sound of your guitar varies a lot depending on the woods and on the kind of strings. Its natural that the pickups sound diferent on diferent guitars. cmon if the sound was just the product of pickups then we would be buying squiers and then replacing the pickups with a pair of emg's or duncans.
    + 1
    franzosten
    straybeat wrote: For those wondering about the neck length and reaching the 24th fret, the picture above is a Version 1 at the standard 24.75 inch scale. Realizing the problem, Epiphone re-designed it at a 25 inch scale. The end of the fretboard and pickup now end where a regular Les Paul does. I own both Gibsons and this, I put them side-by-side and the Gibson's nut is right at the 1st fretwire of the Epi.