SG G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG G-400

Purchased from: Sam Ash Music

I've only played for 1 year and this is the only guitar I've owned but I've played others at stores including Gibsons. I usually play hard rock/heavy metal like AC/DC, KISS, and Led Zeppelin. This guitar is perfect for the genre and the treble pickup, which I use most of the time, is amazing. It's almost as good as a Gibson. The rhythm pickup should ONLY be used on clean and gets muddy while distorted. Everything distorted sounds better with the treble pickup, even stuff meant to be played on the rhythm pickup. But it is still good for playing clean. Though I usually play hard rock I still dabble in other genres and this SG definitely adapts and is great for slow blues. The only other problems with the sound are very high up the fret board, the 6th string buzzes and the 1st and 2nd strings are sometimes muted. I have tried adjusting the Bridge to no avail. Maybe it's just the way I'm playing? Somewhat doubt it. I still give it a 7 because the treble pickup is so sweet. I usually play on a Line 6 Spider IV 15 amp.

This guitar definitely fits my needs and handles my music excellently. It is as good or better then all other Epiphones in most areas. It looks very close to a Gibson besides the Epiphone logo on the headstock. For 1/4 of the price of a Gibson it is almost 3/4 the sound. I am very happy with this guitar despite it's bugs, which I hope I have stamped out. The only reason I would stop using this guitar is to upgrade to a Gibson. If it were stolen, and I didn't have the money to buy a Gibson, I would definitely buy this again.

In the year I've owned it, I've banged it into my bed's headboard numerous times but only has 1 small dent only noticeable by running your finger across it. I've read other reviews where nothing happens to their guitar ever. Mine's had some issues, all under warranty, like my treble pickup randomly stopped working, and one of the tone knobs kept turning and turning without stopping. Also the included cord blew out after 7 or 8 months but I guess that was expected. All of these mishaps, except the cord, were easily solved at Sam Ash. By the way, these were real problems and not just me not realizing something or being dumb because I was a beginner. Lastly, the strap buttons SUCK and they fail every minute and a half. But, I easily fixed this with straplocks. The finish hasn't changed a bit since I got it.

When I bought this guitar I didn't play it first, first because this wasn't the one on the wall (I played the one on the wall, probably should have played this one too) and also because I couldn't play guitar. Someone at Sam Ash set it up and it sounded great except the action was slightly low, causing some buzzing. My finish was in cherry and it was either 1 piece of mahogany or perfectly bookmatched. The finish was shiny, awesome, and made me feel like I owned a SG worth $5, 000! (A Les Paul's cherry sunburst finish still beats it, but that's it).

Here are some specs listed on the Epiphone website: - Body Material: Mahogany - Neck Material: Mahogany - Neck Shape: SlimTaper(TM) - Neck Joint: Glued-In, Set Neck - Scale Length:24.75" - Fingerboard Material:Rosewood - Fingerboard Radius: 12" - Nut Width: 1.68" - Hardware: Chrome - Machine Heads: Grover 14:1 Ratio - Neck Pickup:Alnico Classic (TM) Humbucker - Bridge Pickup: Alnico Classic Plus (TM) Humbucker - Controls: 1-Neck Volume, 1-Neck Tone. 1Bridge Volume, 1-Bridge Tone - Pickup Selector: 3-Way Toggle Switch, Epiphone All-Metal - Bridge: LockTone(TM) Tune-o-matic - Tailpiece: LockTone(TM) Stopbar - Warranty: Epiphone Limited Lifetime - Picture: http://epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=2023 - Cable and Owner's manual included. In addition, available in Heritage cherry and ebony finishes, and has 22 frets. The tuners are Grover locking tuners and I have played with the guitar for days and it RARELY goes out of tune, however a few times while tuning down, the 1st string snapped.

Cannibal Koala
    Ragu35 wrote: I agree that it's a pretty good SG for its price, but comparing it to Gibson's SGs really aren't going to make you very popular around here.
    +1 I got reported for trolling for saying that a LP Standard played like an Epiphone in the forums.
    Ragu35
    guitar rookie 6
    I have the same guitar (bought it from my cousin ) I haven't had any buzzing while playing. and yeah the treble pickup is sweet
    Dukey
    I friend of mine has this guitar. It was the only time I played an electric guitar by Epiphone that doesn't sound like shit... Very comfortable... And yes, if you'll check my profile you'll figure out why do I show off over this guitar.
    runt6321
    I have one and absolutely love it! I am kind of a beginner myself and replaced my Squier Strat with this SG and it made worlds of difference. I'm also a huge Angus fan and I thank him for my decision to get this one. I have recomended Epiphone guitars to everyone that asks me for advice.
    ClickSwitch
    I've had this for 5 years and i'm sick of it, pickup switch is broken, frets are worn pretty badly and the tone sucks. Great if your starting out, but don't gig with it, something will definitely go wrong. (Cable Jack breaks aswell)
    foopeppers
    I have this guitar and its awesome. I play rock and blues and get a fantastic tone from it using a Marshall JTM60 valve amp. I got mine new for a very good price of 169 3 years ago and it has been a great workhorse of a guitar. Its a great guitar for those of us who cannot yet afford a gibson. The one downside I can think of is that the finish seems to scratch quite easily but when it does, it isnt that noticeable.
    techde
    Acabo de comprar esta guitarra en un viaje a Washington, la compre en GUITAR CENTER, en 300$, la verdad muy buena, muy buena la informacion que nos das aqui. Buena compra. Sounds Good.
    jolly_26
    I have one of these, pretty sweet guitar really, plays very well with a good setup. Replaced the bridge with a slightly heavier unit, really seemed to help a lot, the tone seems to hit a bit harder, if that makes sense. Also has a kill switch for some Morello fun. Try a a P90 in the neck, just do it. So sweet.
    Fragmatyc
    Personnally, I own a SG, but only for the look of it! That's great, I mean, I know Epiphone can make a guitar THE EXACT same thing. Reading the summary taken from epiphone's web site, they use the same wood, same bridge. Maybe the pickups are different, but that guitar should really sound approximatly as mine. I have a Standard SG that I bought for 1200$. Any way, I didnt have ANY problem with it, I guess that why I paid that much (thought its not really much for an SG)... Im sure it plays really well! Great review btw!
    guitar.freak14
    Looking at buying one of these! I have a schecter right now,so I want something for more classic rock. This one looks really good for the price
    CrawlingHorror
    "Of course the Gibson one sounds better, but with a few hundred dollars you could put burstbuckers or classic 57's or seymour duncans in it and make it sound almost identical. Epiphone is a much better value IMO " Exactly. I just bought an Epi Korina Explorer as a project guitar. I'm going to replace the pickups, tuners, electronics and nut on it and, after it's set up, the total cost will still be $400-500 less than the cheapest Gibby Explorer.
    Duncas
    Slash broke a Les Paul neck doing that.
    also broke his face when it hit him in the nose
    mydian
    Tiago Sa wrote: The guy from a nearby store showed me a G-400 guitar being the neck like crazy. The notes would be terribly affected by how hard we pulled it. Was that a problem with that specific specimen or are they all like that? I have a Epiphone Les Paul and the neck does bend a bit, but I need to pull it or push it a lot, which I don't, but still.
    Slash broke a Les Paul neck doing that.
    Tiago Sa
    Supercolio
    All I've heard about Epi's SG's is that they are not as good as Tokai's. I own Tokai SG-43 and I love it, I guess there is not that much difference between them, so I believe that this is a good guitar.
    grungelive72
    I really do prefer this to the newer Gibson models. The new Gibson SGs have terrible fat and unwieldy necks, this one is not so fat and very comfortable. The Epiphone is less prone to neck dives as the Gibson one as well. Of course the Gibson one sounds better, but with a few hundred dollars you could put burstbuckers or classic 57's or seymour duncans in it and make it sound almost identical. Epiphone is a much better value IMO
    Most_Triumphant
    I love how this one has user rating of 7.9 but the faded version (same thing less glossy) only has like a 5.7
    mrrman
    I had a black one with 3 pickups...it was a great guitar but I later sold it for an ESP