SG G-400 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Epiphone: SG G-400

Purchased from: guitar center

Good for rock players, Hard rock, blues, post hardcore, punk. sound is MEH, it sounds good for a beginner guitar, It sounds crappy even with thicker strings with any tuning past D standard, But if you play drop D, E standard or half a step down it sounds pretty good. Its not a thin tone but the sustain isn't to die for. ( if your a beginner then yes it is )

Overall good sound for a certain player ( wish it had 24 frets) Cheap finish and electronics, good action ( not my fav action personally but pretty good none the less) I wouldn't purchase this again cause of the shitty quality ( after owning this for 8 months in your bedroom you'll understand, it doesn't break down right away though) The epi Les Paul is much better my friend has been playing his for 2 years and the only problems he has is that its just not a Gibson lol.

DURABIILITY IS MY ONLY MAJOR COMPLAIN, this thing falls apart. even though it looks nice and classy. The input jack after a while constantly comes loose electronics become loose after constant wear. If you exchange the electronics and wiring then yes it could be almost a Gibson ( ofcourse if you don't know much about gibsons)

Action is pretty good, not a shredders dream guitar but good for chords, tight chord action and blues Pentatonics. Its not a Gibson but it sounds decent, action is nice for the price.

I believe it was made in china. 22 frets, I'm not sure what wood, The fretboard is rosewood though. I had a black finish but it was a little cheap not the best. Passive pickups aren't bad not great. ( don't bother upgrading ) 3 way selector with neck and bridge humbucker pickups. It does have pretty nice grover tuners. ( if you buy the guitar and scrap it take the tuners )

Epirechaun694
    fuzzthedog wrote: sl1pk0t001 wrote: SGs are way too heavy! Pansie.
    FearOfTheDuck
    After 5 years of gigging and abuse, mine still sounds better than my friends fernandes through a marshall valve amp.
    MaggaraMarine
    Epirechaun694 wrote: fuzzthedog wrote: sl1pk0t001 wrote: SGs are way too heavy! Pansie. +1. SG's are probably some of the lightest guitars you can get. I love them, I used to be a Les Paul guy but something about the SG shape and how thin they are just gets to me.
    I think that was a joke.
    skyman457
    Just bought this guitar from my local store, and I must say that no other guitar could beat this guitar for the price I got it for. I bought it for 199, definitely 10/10.
    djBeWilmingtnNC
    The gloss cherry sg-400 streets for only $350...the faded cherry streets for $300...the $50 difference is the smallest difference between "faded" or "worn" and "gloss" of any model Gibson/Epi makes. Gibson SG faded streets for $700, the glossy version is $1l00, $400 more but you do also get pup covers and trap inlays instead of dots. Gibson Flying V is $250 price difference, $950 vs $1200, for gloss. Vintage brown worn SG-400s are ok,and there is no gloss brown, but if you want cherry color, go for the gloss its worth the extra fifty.
    rv_phoenix
    Well, the gloss finish is 80% of this guitar's look. And, since we speak about poor man's Gibson, it has to look at least decent, not like a trimmed-off copy, as the faded version actually looks like... But ratings here at the UG are irrelevant anyway. You can actually notice copy guitars made in China, Indonesia, Vietnam etc. getting higher ratings than original Fenders or Gibsons.