SG G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG G-400

I play mostly hard rock like Van Halen, AC/DC, and Led Zeppelin, dabbling a little bit in blues and punk rock, this guitar fits those styles just fine. I am currently set up with a Vox AD50VT for bedroom practice and a Blackheart Handsome Devil Head with a Marshall cab for band practice, this guitar ventures into most realms of music perfectly fine, while being a bit twangy in the bridge pickup on clean settings. The intonation is not so good on it for solos, very sharp so you can hit 2 notes octaves apart and they would sound different.

Pretty nice for the hard rock style music. I really wish I had played the one I was going to actually buy... BAD setup. PLEASE READ - change the strings right away! The.10s sound like abaolute shit. I would more than likely buy another one, great value for the money, I really like the easy access devil horns body shape but I hate the intonation in the higher frets. It's like the sound just drops out. Very fragile tone compared to my Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro but with the right pickups it would sound bada-s. I like it alot.

The guitar seems built like a tank. No complaints here. I would definitely play without a backup.

Factory setup was VERY bad but not that hard to fix. The action was ungodly high and the frets buzzed all over the place. The intonation was terrible. Again, only took about an hour with a screwdriver and some .09 gauge slinkies to fix. Pickups were set up high. Too high. They were really harsh, not hard to fix but inconvenient. Bridge was (you guessed it) HIGH but easy to adjust with a flathead. I like the tune-o matic bridge for it's ease but not for its abilities. Guitar looks beautiful and all electronics are functioning and sturdy. YOU WILL NEED A PROPER SETUP FOR THIS GUITAR TO SOUND GOOD.

- 22 frets - rosewood fretboard - "grover" tuners - 2 vol, 2 tone knobs - 3 way pickup selector - 24 3/4 scale - alnico humbucking pickups - made in Japan 2009.

Callus1
    rv_phoenix wrote You can actually notice copy guitars made in China, Indonesia, Vietnam etc. getting higher ratings than original Fenders or Gibsons.
    And it never occurred to you that the ratings on UG might be relative to the price of the guitar in question? No? Oh dear...