SG G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG G-400

If your looking for a really raw, crunchy tone, this is the guitar for you! I've been playing for almost three years now, and this is one of the best all 'round guitars I've played. Given it's not a Gibson, but for the price you pay, it really is brilliant value for money! Using the right pedals and effects, you can get any sound, from AC/DC to Blink-182. I play a bit of everything, Punk, Metal, Classic Rock, Drum n Bass, and it works well for it all. I run it through a Boss Metal Zone, Original Crybaby and a Boss Tuner, into a Roland Cube, and using this set-up, it sound great. The cleans are nice and warm, sounds good finger picking, an the distortions as I said, are really crunchy which I love.

Overall, it's a great guitar at a good price. Obviously its not going to be as good as a Gibson, but it's as close as you'll get. It works well with my stage set up, but if it was stolen, I honestly wouldn't buy it again. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I'd just go for a different style. If your looking for an affordable guitar for playing metal, rock or punk, then I'd recommend this, you won't be disappointed. I'd also suggest you get a hard case for it, the neck isn't exactly the sturdiest of necks.

As I've said, I've been gigging with this SG for over a year. It's had it's fair share of drops and bangs, and is a little rattly as a result. A string snapped after a week, but you should get a proper set of strings if your getting a new guitar, Ernie Balls or something that will last. The neck warped a few months back, but it was easily fixed. My lead snapped in the in jack too, but didn't loosen any of the connections. The input jack does come lose over time however, but I've learned to expect this from Epiphone. I'd say I still have another couple of years out of this guitar, it's still in good shape considering what I've put it through. Overall, it is reliable, but I'd use a back up just in case.

Out of the box, the action was ok. I had to adjust the p/up height to my liking, but other guitarists mightn't, it's just to your own taste I guess. I also had to lower the strings slightly, but again, each guitarist would have different preferences. The strap buttons were decent, but I'd recommend getting strap locks for added protection. This guitar is VERY top heavy, and if you let it go at all the head drops to the floor, and I haven't found any way to fix this as of yet. Apart from that, the finish (Cherry) is beautiful, nice and shiny. After gigging this guitar for over a year now, there's a few marks, Burns and dints on the body and head, but I like it that, it makes it looked used.

- Body Material: Indonesian Mahogany - Neck Material: Indonesian Mahogany - Neck Shape: SlimTaper 1960's D-profile - Neck Joint: Glued, Set Neck - Scale Length:24.75" - Fingerboard Material:Rosewood - Fingerboard Radius: 12" - Nut Width: 1.68" - Hardware: Chrome - Machine Heads: Grover 14:1 Locking Tuners - Neck Pickup: Epiphone Alnico Classic Humbucker - Bridge Pickup: Epiphone Alnico Classic Plus Humbucker - Controls: 1-Neck Volume, 1-Neck Tone. 1-Bridge Volume, 1-Bridge Tone - Pickup Selector: 3-Way Toggle Switch, Epiphone All-Metal - Bridge: LockTone Tune-o-matic - Tailpiece: LockTone Stopbar - Extras: Short Cable, Manual, Epiphone Sticker, Angle-Key.

zimbabre
    Just put a deposit on one of these in my local guitar shop. Tried it in store and love it. Each pick up has its own voice which is great. On the rhythm pickup you get a nice warm feel which is pefect for playing Santana. It will officialy be mine in 2 weeks and i cant wait.
    pac6789
    my roomate's aunt makes $83/hr on the laptop. She has been without work for 8 months but last month her pay was $8682 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site...NuttyRich.com