SG Prophecy Custom EX review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Prophecy Custom EX

Purchased from: House of Guitars

The EMG 81/85 active pickups are just awesome. They just sound amazing through my Crate 30W amp. Its great for metal, rock, punk, and stuff like that. They have good sustain and pinch harmonics squeal like a beast. The sound has great full and crunchy rhythm tones, and the lead tones are rich and clean. Overall its a great sounding guitar for metal, rock and punk styles. Just don't buy this guitar and expect to get a nice blues or southern rock sound.

I have been playing for about 2 years and i play a lot of metal, rock and punk. And this guitar suits each of these genres perfectly, and it looks amazing while doing soand its so so easy to play. If it were stolen, id beat the **** out of the guy Who stole it. If i couldnt get it back id deffinitely buy it again. This guitar looks cooler and plays better than most any guitar around this price, from ESP vipers to Jackson dinkys, this guitar blows them out of the water in my opinion. Buy this guitar, you wont regret it.

I have not played this Live yet, but everything seems solid on this guitar. The finish doesnt seem like it will wear off anytime soon, and the strap buttons are solid and tight. The hardware will deffinitely hold up. I am not sure if i would take it without a backup though.

I bought this guitar in the store and the action was set up just fine. The ONLY thing that i can find wrong with this guitar is the rubber type material on the back of the neck. My thumb just doesnt slide up and down it very good, it gets stuck a little when i move down the fret board. Other than that, its pretty much heaven.

This was made this year in 2008 in the U.S.A. It has an Ultra fast and thin speed taper D bound neck. It has an ebony fingerboard with 24 jumbo frets adorned with sick blade inlays. The mahogany body is light weight and the double cutaway of an SG adds even more comfort when you play. This guitar has a beautiful highly quilt maple top in a color Epiphone calls "midnight ebony". It looks even better in person, trust me. The guitar also has a tune o matic bridge, elegant pearl top knobs, grover die-cast tuners, and a 3 way selector Switch. But lets not forget the active EMG 81/85 pickups =]. Its really amazing you can get all this at a price of about 500 dollars.

Amuro Jay
    yeah well its alot better than the low end gibsons.
    sg_player
    I would not be ashamed playing metal on an epi, especially this one, it looks so so much cooler than a rip off sg, a.k.a esp viper
    trooper927
    Pat_s1t
    That's a little stereotypical, don't you think? I mean sure, many entry Epis suck, but this has nice pickups, good wood type, nice maple top finish. Shit, the second I took one home would be a near sexual experience.
    Sonic Blast
    My first electric was an epi G-400. I eventually hotrodded it and it competes with my friends' gibsons and PRS. It's not about the brand name. It's who's playing it. The true test is weather or not you can make a bad guitar sound good. The brand has nothing to do with that. It's just skill. Epiphones are very nice as long as you don't get the dirt cheap ones. Don't bash the Epi!!!
    led,rainsong
    isn't this one of the new series where epiphone is trying to make more "metal" guitars? some of them were pretty cool but i hate SGs myself once i was playing a epiphone SG at guitar center and the fretboard paint rubbed off onto my hand! horrible!
    sg_player
    yes it is neck heavy, as many sg's are. but i dont find that it inhibits my playing
    trooper927
    trooper927 wrote: allright for all you epi bashers saying they can't make a good metal guitar..... gibson invented the explorer, and guess what? the best metal bands out there have either used,or use the explorer, and personally the epiphone futura fx is amazing, its like an xplorer, just with a deeper cutaway and 24 frets, it has an original floyd rose and emg 81/85 set compare that to a jackson, dean,esp, or b.c. rich, they only have licensed floyd's on all guitars in this price range, and rarely have official emg's, they usually have the emg/esp lh 301 set or whatever, which is not even close to an 81/85 set, although i prefer the 89/60 combo or 81/89. please rethink any comments about the ability of epiphone or gibson to make a metal guitar, and if you dont think they are too metal then watch brendon small play a gibson, every bone in ur body will be crushed, and you will be face-fisted by the sonic force of his crushing riffs, and if you arent a dethklok fan, then look at metallica, james hetfield and kirk both played gibson at their prime moments, from kill 'em all through and justice, and ride the lightning, and even still play them live fom time to time, and gibson even made a special model commemerating the use of the explorer in the 80's by throwing emg 81's into a snow white explorer (the same setup as used by.....james hetfield in 1988) so dont tell me gibson and epiphone cant be metal, they helped to create metal and were played by greats such as tony iommi, angus young, slash, randy rhoads, zakk wylde, and many many more.
    also forgot to mention that most epiphones are as good, if not better than the gibson version and alot cheaper =D a an amazing price too and i am a proud owner of 2 epi's, the lp and of course..the futura fx
    angusrokks
    y the hell is every1 trying ther best to down epiphone as much as they can, show some respect u morons!!
    angusrokks
    AlexAvarice wrote: JoelTheShredder wrote: me. i wouldn't ever buy a squire. ThijsJan wrote: Toker420 wrote: If only it didn't carry the Epiphone name... Then I might buy it. who cares about the brand? There's a huge difference though... Squire doesn't make higher end models. Epiphone guitars can play jut as well as a Gibson. Honestly, thinking something is wonderful because they carry names like Gibson or Marshall. I played both this and a Gibson SG, and this one was actually better.
    dude i totally agree with u
    Lucifer1805
    I like the guitar but I'm not a huge fan of active pickups so i'm going for the GX with dirty fingers. There has to be a group on the community for pro epiphone. Give me a gibson anyday with better spec,but paying 3 times as much for a name,different wood and to say it came from the USA. So in reply to the epi haters. Seems they're onto something called a fanbase,oh and a profit despite your views Epiphone group here I come
    AdamDK
    J.J.G. wrote: sound is essencial but the brand is your image, i wouldnt go to a metal gig with an epi...
    Not really. So just because it is an Epiphone you would not play a metal gig with it? Even though it has a set of EMG 81/85's and a nice mahogany body = thick metal tone.
    Korzack
    J.J.G. wrote: ThijsJan wrote: Toker420 wrote: If only it didn't carry the Epiphone name... Then I might buy it. who cares about the brand? sound is essencial but the brand is your image, i wouldnt go to a metal gig with an epi...
    Image in metal? Oh, come on - if it makes the sounds, who gives a damn what name's on the head-stock? It's not EMG's on a piece of wood with the 'Ibanez' name will suddenly sound 10% more awesome, is it?
    babybeastie
    hey fellas, was wondering if this guitar has a heavier-than-body neck? i own a sg menace but found it a little difficult to play when you have to press against the guitar on your right hand all the time so that the neck (which is heavier) won't let it get pulled by gravity.
    SonOfDoom
    I have the GX version of this guitar...bloody amazing it is, too! As for the satin finish on the neck, it wears to a smoother, glossier finish after a couple of polishings. And the neck heaviness isn't too much of a problem--just aim it at the ceiling. I wear the strap nice and short too, so my right forearm tends to hold the body down. Oh yeah, and any dim bulb who thinks these aren't suitable for metal should be shot on sight; I play doom and black metal with this, coupled with a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem pedal--it'll rip your face off then atomise your skull!!!
    Subcide
    I just bought the Les Paul version of this guitar (same EX series) and the neck is actually a lot thinner than your standard les paul neck, and is a matte finnish paint (not rubbery if you ask me), actually plays a bit nicer and faster than my other painted neck les paul. I assume the SG necks are similar.
    cts0209
    if it were gibson it would be over $1000
    cts0209
    we are talking about epiphone not squier [quote]JoelTheShredder wrote: me. i wouldn't ever buy a squire.
    RequiemofDemons
    does anybody know if the prophecy em-2 fx is worth the buy? i might not have looked hard enough but i didnt see any reviews for it and i want some feedback before i go and try and order it. thanks!
    ExDeath
    My first guitar was an sg. Its not that bad. I mean i would rather have something else but it makes notes and occasionally plays nicely. I personally have nothing against epi. Pick up a gibson lp studio and epi lp studio. I would rather have the gibson. But just for the name. The epis play nicley and sound good. But epi going for a more metal guitar? Hahaha thatll happen. Pause. Not!
    J.J.G.
    Dmoney760
    F gibson and there overpriced piece's of shits, sorry but i like gibson but there way too high for nothing and for what a different type of wood? epiphone makes better guitars hands down 8- (penis) thats just me though *_* XD bwahaha
    sg_player
    haha so i ragged on a esp viper in this review even tho im going to buy one... haha but their quite similar to eachother
    babybeastie
    Anyone knows or heard of any flaws on this guitar besides the rubbery neck mentioned on the review?
    xchl
    hehe it's like kinda immitaion huh? nice features anyway
    Korzack
    Aaand cue the Epi bashing. Their SG guitars are blissfully cheap especially for the quality of them, and lets' face it, there aren;t many brand who're bringing out guitars this well sonically equipped for the price. And besides, they're damn solid pieces of kit, so put two and two together, and you've got a very nice guitar which'll put many a Gibson to shame for half the price-tag. So long as you avoid the Specials and their real low end stuff, you're in the money...
    ThijsJan
    who cares about the brand?
    JoelTheShredder
    me. i wouldn't ever buy a squire.
    AlexAvarice
    inspir3
    Toker420, If your a horrible guitarist your gonna stay one if your materialistic view of guitar doesn't change. Even with a "mighty" Gibson your gonna suck because you rely on the instrument. Noob!
    -Blue-
    I've looked at these things, and I'm goin for the one with the Dirty Fingers pups. So much better, and looks so much nicer.
    AngryGoldfish
    I might buy this, at this price, I haven't found anything that beats them for a price. Anyone know of anything that is cheaper with similar specs? I know their prob not great guitars but I need a guitar with grit that is cheap and that I can use to drop the tuning down to A...and I need it fast!
    Lancefloyd
    I played 2 versions of the LP. The Gibson and the Epi, visually the same except for the headstock. I actually have to say I liked the epiphone neck better. Just me, but I bought the epi.
    deafening
    jetfuel495 wrote: Toker420 wrote: If only it didn't carry the Epiphone name... Then I might buy it. yeah well its alot better than the low end gibsons.
    lollll
    Benjibum
    Haha yeah, epiphones are awesome... but really, if it sounds awesome, it shouldnt matter what brand it is... i played my $400 goth epiphone and MUCH prefer it to my friends $1500 fender, and he prefers it to...
    Raijouta
    If these models are really successful I have a feeling Gibson is going to try to cash in, and because it's Gibson everyone will buy them.
    Rojam
    i want this guitar, but the name is killin me nah im playin. In all seriousness though, i am gonna get this guitar
    metalhed717
    who cares what brand the guitar says as long as it sounds good? isnt the MUSIC what metal is all about?!? :-D eh?
    Blas3
    Looks nice, but I've tried Epis and I didn't like their sound ... went on to LTD