SG Prophecy Custom EX review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Prophecy Custom EX

Price paid: € 329

Purchased from: Thomann

The EMG pickups sound absolutely amazing. Seriously, none of my other guitars have sound that comes even close to this. Sure, my Ibanez XPT700 with its DiMarzio D Activator pickups sounds also great, but it can only compete with the clean sound of the EMG pickups. The sound of the EMGs is at the same time very rich, full, bright, colorful and heavy. Distorted power chords and palm mutes sound "clear", yet extremely heavy. I've yet to notice any noise or muddiness. I play mostly metal, but also some bluesy and lighter types of music. The EMGs are perfect for both really low and really high notes, and for shredding. Active pickups are often being criticized for bad clean sounds. I can't agree with this. Still, they are essentially metal pickups.

As mentioned, I play mostly metal and this is The Guitar for that type of music. I'm using mine with the Boss MT-2 distortion pedal. If my guitar was stolen or lost, I'm definitely get either the same again, or at least another one with the active EMG pickups. I'm really blown away by them. Compared to my Ibanez XPT700, the SG Prophecy Custom EX was only half the price (329 vs. 727 euros), but feels just as solid and high quality. Even sustain is equally good. I think some people might wish for a whammy bar. Personally, I rather take the fixed bridge, since I already have other guitars with whammy bars. And for the price I paid, I have no other chance than to give this guitar a full 10.

I could definitely see myself using this guitar live. It doesn't feel cheap in any way, both the hardware and the build quality feel solid and it sounds better than any other guitar I owned before. That is not to say, though, that I'd ever play live without a backup, regardless of the equipment.

After unpacking and tuning the guitar, it sounded already great out-of-the-box. I didn't adjust the pickups or action, since there was no need to. The Tune-o-matic bridge also means very fast & easy tuning, as there are no extra springs and parts making it unnecessary complicated (cough, FR tremolos...). Of course, this also means there is no whammy bar, but I rather choose quicker tuning & string changing. The build quality is really high. The guitar feels solid and looks great. The only reason why I have to reduce a point at this part, is that there were some spots in my guitar, where the paint from the body had slipped a bit on the side of the neck.

My SG Prophecy Custom EX was made in 2009 and in China. Being manufactured in China, I was first a bit worried about the quality. Completely unnecessary! This guitar is top quality and sounds great. It has 24 frets, Tune-o-matic bridge and active EMG 81 (neck) & 85 (bridge) pickups. Also included are 3-way selector and volume & tone knobs. No accessories included and no whammy bar.

J-rich777
    KILL EM ALLx666 wrote: liam2309 wrote: to tell you the truth, i'd rather get an esp ltd viper 400 :S to tell u the truth i might just kick ur ass
    My bets on liam2309... And Epiphones are very nice guitars. I own one myself... I have a Black Beauty, but Ive been thinking about trading it for and LTD EC-1000 but haven't made up my mind yet.
    J-rich777
    KILL EM ALLx666 wrote: Toker420 wrote: If only it didn't carry the Epiphone name... Then I might buy it. u r the biggest dumbass on the planet...i own this guitar and it rips face off..its an amazing guitar it could kick the shit out of the "metal" guitars that cost twice or even 3 times as much...it plays way better than any ibanez i ever played and it kix the ****in shit outta the ESP vipers (SG knockoffs) epiphone has an amazing talent the way they make guitars this well built and im pretty sure it safe to safe that u r a dumbass...u r sum stupid lil fag who prolly listens to the jonas homos all day and thinks he can play guitar because mommy and daddy shelled out 3000 dollars for sum shitty ibanez that u dont even know how to play so **** off btw...Gibson,Epiphone,Jackson RULES! i know this post has nuthin to do with this post but gibson (and epiphone) and jackson make the best guitars ever in my opinion...but gont take my word for take kirk hammetts (RR1,Gibson V, and a bunch of endorsed esps that he was given to smash around)
    KILL EM ALLx666, Everyone has their own opinions you idiot. Just by the way you talk I can tell you're a clueless 14 year old spoiled little brat that just gets whatever you want and knows nothing about guitars. Brands don't make the guitar its how they're made. Honestly I've heard First Acts that will kick the shit out of any guitar you've ever heard. Let the people voice their opinion. I personally don't like Dean guitars, but I'm not gonna call people a dumbass for liking them.... Grow the **** up.
    rokkit
    to everyone who is bashing epiphones and saying gibson is better, remember epiphone is made by gibson in the EXACT same factories that gibsons are made from, and epiphones are essentially gibsons with a different name
    ybselgo
    J-rich777 wrote: KILL EM ALLx666 wrote:Toker420 wrote:If only it didn't carry the Epiphone name... Then I might buy it.u r the biggest dumbass on the planet...i own this guitar and it rips face off..its an amazing guitar it could kick the shit out of the "metal" guitars that cost twice or even 3 times as much...it plays way better than any ibanez i ever played and it kix the ****in shit outta the ESP vipers (SG knockoffs) epiphone has an amazing talent the way they make guitars this well built and im pretty sure it safe to safe that u r a dumbass...u r sum stupid lil fag who prolly listens to the jonas homos all day and thinks he can play guitar because mommy and daddy shelled out 3000 dollars for sum shitty ibanez that u dont even know how to play so **** offbtw...Gibson,Epiphone,Jackson RULES! i know this post has nuthin to do with this post but gibson (and epiphone) and jackson make the best guitars ever in my opinion...but gont take my word for take kirk hammetts (RR1,Gibson V, and a bunch of endorsed esps that he was given to smash around)KILL EM ALLx666,Everyone has their own opinions you idiot.Just by the way you talk I can tell you're a clueless 14 year old spoiled little brat that just gets whatever you want and knows nothing about guitars. Brands don't make the guitar its how they're made. Honestly I've heard First Acts that will kick the shit out of any guitar you've ever heard. Let the people voice their opinion. I personally don't like Dean guitars, but I'm not gonna call people a dumbass for liking them.... Grow the **** up.
    Agreed. I don't like "V"s, but whatever, no ones forcing me to play one lol. Epiphone is a long established company that build high quality instruments for a very modest price. My first guitar was a Epiphone LP special II, and for how cheap it was it was a great guitar. All Epiphone's I have experienced have been superbly made and always deliver more than you expect you'd be getting for the money.
    771M
    Why are people saying Epiphone are ripping off Gibson. Gibson own epiphpone you dumb shits, epiphone are meant to be cheaper versions of existing gibsons. As for complaining about the brand name - here, have a list of famous epiphone players http://www.epiphone.com/artists.asp
    blisterfingers7
    To me, I don't give a rat's ass if a guitar bears the name of a budget brand on its headstock. If it plays, feels, and sounds like a $5,000 guitar, but costs less, then I'm buying it. I'd rather buy a pricier Epiphone than a cheap Gibson, anyway.