SG Prophecy Custom EX review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Prophecy Custom EX

Price paid: C$ 750

Purchased from: Long and Maquade

So it sounds really good, has a nice combo of woods and pickups. It is very versatile but the EMGs pop out when comparing to passives. I mostly play rock /metal/ classic country and is a good guitar for that. It's a quite guitar no hums wse very full sounding. I play it through a Peavey Classic VT 212 and I have a Boss ME 25 for effects.

All around good guitar would be worth over 2gs if it had a Gibson logo on it. I've had this guitar for 3 years and its still great. I like how it feels really comfortable. I'm not so HOT on the thin neck a little to thin to my liking. And I wish it had of come with a trem stetsbar maybe? But other than that its good. The pickups blow me away have guitars with DiMarzio's and Vintage pu's the EMGs just give you that extra boost.

I would play this guitar with no back up has never let me down. Every thing seems "tight" and reliable and its got some wear on it now still sounds like new. I'm really impressed with the finish they weren't cheap with it. Its been beat up sence I've owned it and it still a God guitar better than some "brand name" guitars I've played.

The action was pretty good but I had to adjust it to my standard and the pickups were right on didn't have to touch them. Its very clean looks really good. There is a blemish on the neck binding but not a big deal. And a chip out of the neck but was painted over. After awhile the pickup selector cam lose but not thing major.

I think it was made in 2008 but am unsure. Made in china like all Epiphones. So I has 24 ebony frets had a d shape neck witch is really thin. The neck and head stock are satin finished on the back and when worked in is very fast. The neck and body are mahogany and has a quilted maple top witch looks killer with the black burst. It has a tune-o-matic on it with EMG 81/85 just a basic 1 vol 1 tone 3 way switch and grover tuners. Was suppose to come with strap locks but some how they dissapeared.

palm mutant
    I recently bought on of these guitars after doing a lot of research & comparisons. Considering the fact that it's no longer in production, you could pick up a really nice used one for $300-$400, & let me tell you, it's A LOT of guitar for that price! With that being said... mine has quiet a bit of fret buzz that doesn't go away no matter how much time I spend adjusting the action. My Gibson sg USA has a lower action with minimal buzz compared to the Epiphone. This is arguably the main reason why anyone would want to spend twice as much money on a guitar. I'm planning on taking it to a tech & getting the frets leveled & recrowned. It is also extremely neck heavy. I hear a nice, wide, suede-back leather strap helps out with that. Bottom line, Don't expect a flawless, top notch quality out of the box instrument from Epiphone. But if you're willing to put a little extra money & TLC into one, you can end up with a killer guitar for a low price.
    wayneos
    Just bought one of these,should be with me tomorrow, as this thread is a few years old now,would be good to hear how well these have worn over that time?
    foopeppers
    I have a standard epi G400 SG which I bought for 169 (an absolute bargain,even for the epiphone) and I have recently realised my dream of owning a Les Paul which cost me 1699. 10 times the price of the epi. Is the LP ten times the guitar? I am not sure yet tbh its a beaut of a guitar but my point is, Epiphones are seriously good guitars despite the price difference.
    arnancarmelo
    ParkwayTwid wrote: how would this guitar handle with playing Parkway Drive and Suicide Silence?
    check out my covers on youtube using this guitar. just type in " arnancarmelo " judge it yourself.
    iannii
    I have this guitar and i agree with that it sounds good, but the build quality is shit,the truss rod makes an awful sound when i hit to strings, and the finish looks cheap, but it has and awesome sound, thats all that matters and my SG is handcrafted in china, is it normal?