SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: West L.A. Music

It sounds hard which suits my style (punk, hardcore) but sounds overly bright and springy when played without distortion. Distorted its great. I have a Rogue GS50 amp and a zoom 505II pedal I use with it and it sounds good with gain, overdrive or hard metal distortion. Its never noisy and has an ok tonal range with the pickup Switch and tone knob. It's pretty simple and I play it hard.

This guitar is great for beginning rockers on a budget. I would choose this over an Ibanez or a Squier. The two humbuckers are great for hard rock and its body style shows attitude. It works great but its not the end of the world if something happens to it. It has a good Gibson feel but looks really good too. It comes in red or black and the black looks very dark and goth.

All the parts are put together well and work well so I would use this without fear of it breaking but its not a great loss if it does. I would use it on a gig without a backup unless I wanted to use different pickups or did something to it. It doesnt have a pickguard but the bridge raises the strings off the body pretty high so there arent many scratches on the finish. The strap butttons are tight and the top one is behind the neck.

Its a cheap guitar but it was put together well and the fingerboard is good. Ive never had any mechanical problems with it breaking or loosening. Its finish is shiny and I think the chips came from the store not the factory. The parts seem quality. It looks good and plays well. It was ready to go when found it at the store.

I bought this guitar last year (July 2003) and have been very pleased with it. It had a few chips off the black body when I got it but it worked really well. It has 2 humbuckers (with no metal covering) a tune-o-matic bridge, a 3 way pickup Switch, 1 volume and 1 tone knob. It has a thin body with 2 sharp looking cutaways, a 22-fret rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays and the headstock and neck are painted black. It does not however come with anything but 6 strings.