SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: Used

Sound is not bad. I play rock/punk/metal and use a Fender Champ 30 amplifier. It sounds pretty good distorted however can get very hissy at times (higher gain). Normal sound is very clean. I havent been playing long enough to push this guitar to its full potential however right now I wouldn't expect miracle sound to come out of this guitar.

Well as I already said I play rock/metal/punk and this guitar is doing a good job keeping with my style. My next guitar will most likely be another SG. I wish it had a whammy bar but I guess you dont really need one. It's comfortable to hold and doesn't weigh much so playing for long periods of time isn't a problem. If your beginning and looking for a cheaper model guitar to buy I recommend going with this one. I would take it over other models in its price range any day (Fender Squier, Ibanez, Jay Turser etc.)

I wouldnt try playing with this guitar live but for any beginners like myself or people looking for a cheap guitar to practice on, this is the one for you. There is no pick guard but the finish doesnt even seem to wear out. My guitar has been used a lot, taken a beating and still looks almost new!

This guitar was made pretty good! My only problem is my toggle Switch can cut out sometimes when turned to treble, and one of my knobs came loose (easy fix). Everything seems to work perfect still. The finish on the guitar (mines red) has few flaws and looks really good.

I bought it in 2004, its probably made in Korea. Has 22 Frets marked with dots. 2 humbuckers apparently made by Gibson, a volume and tone knob and a toggle Switch (treble/normal/rythm). It has a perfect sized neck and body. This guitar is pretty light compared to other electrics.