SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: New - Mooloolaba Music

I play alot of old rock like AC/DC, Slayer, White Zombie and it feels like this guitar was made for this. Excellent clean tone for the price range. I would have prefered separate tone/volume controls for each pickup though.

I play with a Peavey Transchorus 210 (100W) and a Zoom 505II effect pedal. It has amazing tone clean and distorted, much more than you would expect from a lower priced guitar. The other guitarist in my band has a BC Rich Virgin which is about $AU900 and there is barely any difference besides the shape of the guitars and their individual sound.

Never had any problems have been playing it al least 1 hour a day for the last 2 months and I jam for 7 hours straight every saturday. The only problem was the strap button, very crap factory buttons, but I replaced them straight away with the straplocks from my old guitar.

Took it out of the box, tuned it and it was perfect. The paint is amazingly smooth. When my mum saw it her immediate reaction was "Wow, it reminds me of an expensive car" and thats how good the paint and finish is.

SG stlye body, great neck, 2 humbuckers, one tone and one volume control, 3 way selector, tune-o-matic bridge makes it really easy to change strings the only issue I have it the output plug it straight out the front but I bought a L shaped plug and in the end it is actually better than the normal plug on the side of the guitar. No whammy bar but I never used mine on my other guitar anyway.