SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: Music Pro

Well, I play a lot of Metallica, and other metal. And, nu-metal (usually dropped D stuff). So, compared to what I hear on the CDs of what I play, this guitar gets pretty close. I think the only problem is my playing. I use a Peavey Rage 158, which puts out 15 watts of floor-shaking power. If I put the amp at the "metal" setting in it's manual, and put the guitar's volume to about 3, tone in the middle, Switch to rhythm, my floor starts to vibrate. I don't much like the sound I get when I put the tone to full, and setting it at zero sounds quite tinny. So, around 5 works for me.

For playing a lot of heavy stuff, the Epiphone SG Special is quite the good guitar. As I said before, I've only been playing for about 11 months, so this is an excellent beginner's guitar, based on my experience in that category. Haha "Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this product?" Yeah, "Can you suggest a good distortion pedal?" However, that's not applicable to the guitar itself, so I'll move on. If the guitar was stolen I think, in that case, I'd go for the Godin. If I was short on cash, and needed a guitar, yeah, I'd get the SG again. When I went to get an electric for under $500, the salesman showed me two different guitars. To be honest, not knowing anything about electrics, I went for appearance. And I'm very happy with my choice. My favourite feature about my SG is the volume of the guitar itself. With just the slightest movement, the sounds just cranks. Which is great, because it makes the distortion of my amp sound even better. I don't think there's anything I wish the guitar had, as I don't need a whammy bar as of yet. It'd be great if it was there anyway, but it's not necessary.

I think the guitar itself would easily withstand live playing (I can't really see why it wouldn't anyways). It's more a question of my amp. It feels like it will last a long time, and I hope it does, because the next one I get will probably be either the Godin XTSA or John Petrucci's signature, both above $1000. The strap buttons are just about perfect for me. They don't move, and I've proven that. If I'm sitting and doing nothing, I suddenly find myself trying to turn the one on the back of the guitar. I think I could depend on it. The problem is strings. I broke my high E tuning the guitar, and that's the only forseeable dilema. The finish seems pretty good. I play the guitar sitting down a lot, so I fear that my arm resting on the body might eventually cause harm, but I'm not too worried.

This thing was built perfectly. Granted, it's my first electric, so I can't compare, but I've found no problems with its construction. Actually, I lie. The tone and volume knobs aren't on straight, and I can't figure out how to change them. Nor can I be bothered. I know what they're at, and that's all that matters.

- 22 frets. - Laminated. - Basic blood red (maybe darker) finish. - Volume and tone controls, 3 way Switch (rhythm, mid, treble) - Dual open humbuckers - Got a case, patch cord, and Peavey amp as a beginner's package (bringing the total to around $400). From what I've seen of the Gibson version of the SG, with four knobs, I'd say this one fits me, as I'm still just starting out. I've only been playing for about 11 months, and about six of those have been playing regularly. For $250, I can't complain.