SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: daddys junky music

Well true to its history and its legendary artsist usage I play alot of AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Cooper, Skynard, ZZ Top, old stuff like that. At the moment I get all the sound I need with the guitar and a regular Marshall AVT Tube amp. Doesn't scream or make any abnormal noise unless your practically inside the amp or hitting a harmonic. I can get some really nice sounds from it but like I said I had it customized with two more tone and volume pots. I was once asked if the guitar could sound like a Fender Strat I told the guy well if you want the sound of a Strat then buy the Strat if you want the sound of an SG then buy the SG but hey what ever affects you wanna use you can make what ever sound you want.

I play alot of classic rock and it works in that area very well suites me fine. Playin for about 3 to 4 years now and I'm limited on gear I had a Strat rip off but that was the worst thing I ever played. One thing I would have done was get the extended warrante. If I lost it or it was stolen I'd go out and buy a Gibson SG 61 Reissue because its not worth putting all the money into for a second time. I like its looks and playability plus the sound I can get from it, I don't like the fact that it comes with one volume and one tone and no pickguard and the bolt on neck.

It might stand up to live playing after you put some cash into it but I'd rather hit the stage with a authentic Gibson SG but right now I'd do a gig with mine so I'm confident it would last. I would change the tuner keys but the bridge and tail peice are great. The neck strap button strips out on some models quick fix tooth picks and wood glue works great. The finish seem like it would last because it looks like they put 20 coats of clear on it.

Action was horrible the strings were way to far from the fret board and the pickups werent even close. After you have it set up raise and lower the pickups and bring the bridge down or up what ever case it may be set the neck and inotation the guitar is flawless. The wiring should be checked over sometimes they leave wires open causing a short or some fuzz and crackling so get that checked out (I did).

It was made ah maybe 3 years ago and its still in one peice. Has 22 frets thin neck smooth and fast the finish on the neck mixed with some good ole body sweat makes for some rather fast movment along the neck. I think the body and neck are made from mahogany. The finish is red with a whole lot of clear sprayed over the top. Double cuts "Devil Horns." Tune-o-matic bridge and tail peice. One tone and one volume pot with 3 way selector Switch I had mine drilled and added two more tone and volume pots so it looks like a real SG 61 reissue. Two open coil humbucker pickups they sund good so I'm not ganna change them. Stock factory tuners almost like a kidney bean, soon to get grover green key tuners to make it look better and hold tone. Didn't come with a bag or amp bought it straight and forward.