SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: DC Music USA

As far as sound goes, I was pretty impressed after hearing my friends Epiphone Les Paul. It easily passes by a Squier in quality and sound. With a Marshall MG10CD amp the distortion is decent, as well as a clean treble. The rythme distortion and clean is not the greatest especially when the amp is turned up high. Not a good variety but again, fine for a begginner. I've also plugged it into a Crate BX15 bass amp and gotten a much mellower cleaner rythme tone which sounds great. I think a lot of the tone problems come from the amp more than the guitar.

Overall this is a great guitar for beginners and even experienced players looking for a "practice/goofaround" guitar. For the price it is a much smarter buy than any squire. I really like playing mellow/rellaxed music like sonic youth but also more fun music like White Stripes. It works great with the bass amp for that rhythm tone. It is a great guitar for anyone to get started on, rather than buying an expensive guitar and it still has the great looks.

I've now had the guitar for almost a year and it still plays very nicely. The treble is starting to cut in and out but that may just be an error on my part or somthing to just my guitar. Because my brother never played it after he bought it, it probably sat for about 3-4 months which may affect its reliability. I've never had and problems with tuning cranks or hardware. I recently replaced the strings and they played in tune in only three days. It is a fun guitar for playing at home or with friends in a garage, but I don't think I'de trust it for a gig.

When the guitar was purchased, the guy who sold it to us was an experienced guitar player and basically set up everything before selling it to us. The strings are set pretty low which I like, but it can result in occasional buzzing if you play too hard. It is all personal prefference. When we got the guitar, there were no flaws of anykind, it was already tuned up.

I'm not to sure about all the features to be honest with you. The guitar came in a package with a gig bag, Marshall 10watt amp and other various extras. It is my brothers guitar, purchased as a beginner and the only electric I've got right now. With only a volume and tone nob, the different tones are pretty limmited. It has a classic axe shape and is red. Extras aren't important if you ask me, it's more about how you feel when you play, not how fancy your gear is.