SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

It is a very good starter guitar for any genre of music. When I first got this guitar, I was just learning to play guitar, I played blues and rock and it worked fine until I got better and relized it's not the best guitar for an intermediate player. It has a slight hum at all time, but it may be because I lowed the action, I'm not sure. It can make a variety of sounds for only having one tone and one volume knob. It does good pinch harmonics if you get the settings right.

Now I play music like Trivum, Avenged Sevenfold and other metal/hardcore music and classic rock and the blues. It is good for a strter guitar like I said but the neck isn't really fast enough to play fast solo's on, and it doesn't have a good enough sound to be your main axe if you are a musician for a living. I like it alot though because I can play it any time, and it was cheap so I don't have to be "too" careful like I would with a Gibson of not trying to mess it up. If it were lost or stolen I would buy another one because it is a great guitar just to have laying around. My only wish is that they would have had more color choices for this guitar. Other than that, it's cool.

It will withstand live playing, but it is not the showiest guitar in the world. You can't rely on a just cool looking guitar if you go play with this axe like you can with a Jackson or anything. The harware will last but the tone/vol. knobs are a thin plastic and my tone knob broke once when I dropped my guitar. The strap buttons arent very big because they a very small, but for a couple of dollars you can replace them and you'll be on your way. If you don't abuse it too much it should stand up to the wear and tear of live playing.

The guitar was set up fine from the factory, but I did adjust the action when I got it out of the box becasue it was too high for me. The pickups needed to be lowered a little after I adjusted the action, but It was not a big deal. The fret wires had a few burs on them but, nothing I coulnt fix with a quick filing. The finish looked very good once I got it out of the case. After a while it gets scratches where the pick rubs, but you can only see them in the right light and otherwise you can't tell. The finish is very nice for the price.

This guitar is an SG style guitar with 22 frets and a Tune-O-Matic bridge. It has 2 passive humbuckers, with a shared tone and volume control between the two. It also has a Switch for the tone with 3 settings: rhythm, normal, and treble. The guitar I bought has a ebony (black) finsh which is flawless. The tuners are non-locking and are pretty good for a while, but after a while mine started to loose their hold and now they go out of tune quite often. The guitar came with a few tools to adjust the truss rod and the action but other than that it didn't come with many accersories.