SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: Soundcontrol, Milton Keynes, UK

Really nice sound, both humbuckers sound crisp and full, no buzzing or interference. Excellent range of tones across the guitar, but lack of separate volumes and tones for both pickups means a bit of onstage fiddling, but I don't tend to stray far from the bridge pickup anyway so it's no real problem. Sounds great on both clean and Drive, the clean sound is almost 'piano'-like in its delivery. Would suit a vast range of music styles, but loses one mark for the volume/tone problem.

Overall, I would happily recommend this as a good solid workhorse of a guitar, anyone who's after a great sounding guitar without paying out Gibson money will be pleased. It definitely looks the business and proves great fun to play. It's not really for lead players, who will have a hard time with the neck and lack of tone controls, but for your average guitar player looking for a bargain, this is it!

It looks a little thinner than a standard SG, but still feels substantial enough to withstand the gigs I play! The light body will appeal to those who (like me) have to stand and play for hours on end! The slimness does worry me however, I'd invest in a hard case or at least a good padded soft case, it's not going to recover from any serious accident. If you take care of it though, I'm sure it'll last a good while. The strap buttons and general harware feel secure, so no worries there. Drop two marks for thinness.

The guitar was flawless when I bought it. The action may be a little high for some, but I like a guitar that puts up a fight! The varnished neck may hamper some fast guitar runs, but it's not an issue for me as I tend to play rhythm mostly. Frets are all seated nicely with no buzzes at any fret. Tuning pegs feel tight and hold tune very well. Pickups are at the correct height. Fretboard looks a bit dry but that's only because it's brand new and not played-in yet. Drop two marks for varnished neck.

Brand new, made in China, cherry red colour, rosewood fretboard, one volume, one tone, 3-way selector, two humbuckers, bolt-on neck, came with free gig bag. No complaints about spec.