SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: Guitar Paradise

I baught this guitar when I was fairly new and at that time I was mainly playing songs by Clapton, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and some Metallica. It seemed to handle these styles fairly well, but once again it could of been better. I played it though a Marshall MG50DFX amp and I could get a really nice acdc rock sound out of it and it does distortion suprisingly good. Also it handled blues really well. For it's price this guitar sounds excellent.

It handled playing my style of music fairly well but no where near as good as the Strat I own now, but for a beginner Who wants to play some tabs and get there skill level up then I'd recommend this over other beginner guitars and starter packs. Overall, it's a nice little guitar that would suit beginner guitarists or someone on a budget who wanted a decent guitar for the money.

I wouldn't play this guitar live without a second guitar handy. It doesn't play well standing up because it becomes unbalanced and the strap comes off quite a lot (this can be fixed easily though). The hardware seems of decent quality but it's certainly not a guitar to last forever, probably a few years. I haven't dropped this guitar yet or banged it and wouldnt want to even though it looks well built theres always a chance. The body doesnt have a pick guard, but from what I've noticed the finish seems pretty durable and only showed signs of wearing off after about a year or so of me playing it.

Unfortunately this guitar didn't come to me that well set up. The volume and tone knobs were loose and would come off, but I fixed that easy with a big of superglue. The action was set fairly high and I needed to adjust that, some of the hardware was lose like the washer around the jack input. The neck had a bit of overhanging wood at the pickup end and a few minor cosmetic flaws on the body. I adjusted some things and tightened up the loose screws and she was right to go though.

Made in Indonesia, this guitar features an SG shaped body in a very nice cherry red finnish. It has 2 Epiphone open coil humbuckers, 1 volume 1 tone 3-way switch, stop bar tailpiece with Tune-O-Matic bridge and chome hardware. It has a bolt on neck with 22 frets and a rosewood fingerboard. The neck is fairly thin and fast. It came with an Epiphone harcase, lead and allen keys. Its a nice looking, light weight, well built guitar for its money but there is certainly room for improvement.