SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: Guitar Paradise, Richmond

I play a lot of rock and punk, and it does both with no issues whatsoever. However, I also play soft rock and classical, and I'd rather use my cheap Strat for that, so it's better to thrash on. It is definitely a rocker's guitar, it sounds so much better with crunch and distortion, but if you don't want to, nor need to play soft music then this guitar is perfect.

I play rock and punk, it works great, I play soft rock and classical, it works well. I've been playing for over two years now, and own a cheap Stratocaster and a Laney amp. I wish I had asked if I could get a hard case with it. If it were stolen, I would probably not buy it again but that would be the case with anything in my life, I like to try different things, so I would probably save and buy a Les Paul Copy or something. I chose this guitar because it looks fantastic and has reviews that back it up performance wise. I wish it had a Gibson logo on the headstock. Apart from that, there are no major issues with it, and it works fine.

This guitar can withstand Live playing, and it works fine while it does, however, if you're playing in front of and audience for cash then it's probably worth using the extra cash to get a better guitar. This one looks and plays well, but there are better, and for a beginner this guitar is perfect. The hardware is solid, and it works fine. The strap buttons are really quite secure, however they are placed quite awkwardly, but once you've played with a guitar with the same strap buttons as this, then they become extremely simple. I would bring a backup to a gig, but then I'm a worst-case-scenario sort of guy. You probably won't need one, but I would bring one anyway. The finish seems like it wil not wear off, but it does show up fingerprints (read above).

The guitar strings were low to the fret board and didn't get any feedback whatsoever. The pickups look fantastic and work well too, so no complaints here. The only problem that I found with the finish is that it smudges, and the black finish really shows up fingerprints under lights.

The guitar itself was made in late 2006. I'm pretty sure it is made in Korea. It has 22 frets and a solid top, and it's neck is made from rosewood. It has a black, glossy SG style body. Tune-O-Matic bridge, a 3-way pickup selector (rhythm, normal and treble) and 2 open-coil humbucker pickups. The guitar itself looks amazing, and if you screw in the input nut whenever you play (as I do) then there are no issues with this guitar whatsoever.

Zeppelin_31
    Ok, there's a huge difference between a Gibson and an Epiphone. One is good quality, and the other is crap. Why do you think they're half price to the real thing?
    volkspower
    This guitar is not much better than a limp dishrag. Go play a Jay Turser 55 and tell me its not 300% better for the same $150.
    rokrdude
    better than my old squier... the fingerboard finish is not at all consistent... plays better than a g-400... sounds alright, if you plan to keep it for a while you need to buy new humbuckers, these aren't that good... good guitar to start out with... if you've beeen playin for more than a a couple of years go for a gibson or a schecter or maybe a fende(not really tho... unless it's a tele)... overall it's alright