SG Special review by Epiphone

Epiphone: SG Special

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

The sound is pretty nice, with the equipment I use with it. I mainly use it on treble, to me the rhythm is just too flat sounding. My amp is a Rogue GS-100. So the amp is half of the sound, so it might make a difference, I haven't really played it on too many other amps. Anyway, on treble is nice and rich sounding, it's great for rock, metal, and punk. I play in a metal/punk band and this guitar suits me fine.

I think that this is a great guitar for the price, if your willing to spend more money, you can get a lot a way better guitar, but if your a penny pincher like myself, it's great. I play metal and punk like I stated, and it just fits in there and sounds great with the style. Some other effects that I use on it that sound really good are: Boss Metal Zone, a Dane-Electro Super Chorus and a Washburn Wah. They all sound really good with it. One thing that I really would like it to have is a volume knob for reach pick-up, because you can do a really cool effect with that.

Heres were this guitar suits me best. When I use it at shows it gets covered in sweat, it holds up nice with jumping. I did have to put some strap locks on, but that was the straps fault. I've had it for about a year now, and there isn't any bow or hump in the neck at all, that was the problem with my old guitar, it got a hump in its neck. The finish is still in mint condition, it does get finger prints on it, but I haven't had any flakes or chips yet, which is surpising from the use it, and some hits that it gets.

One problem that really sticks out with me is the typically Epiphone problem: the tuning pegs arn't that great. As of right now, the only one that is really that big of a deal is the G string, it's really stiff. I didn't have any flaws from the Factory, but on Musicians Friend, some of it's reviews said that it had some damages. It's just something to look out for.

I bought this as a pack because I needed a new guitar really bad and I didn't have much money. I figured this would be something I would use until I got enough money, but this guitar is really nice for the price. It came with a gig bag, the gig bag isn't really that great, it has a small pocket and that's about it. The little 10 watt amp that came with is pretty good for practicing on, it has a nice tone to it. It comes in two finishes; cherry and ebony. It has 22 frets, 2 pickups, one volume knob, one tone knob, and your rhythm/treble switch. All in all, beginners or just looking for a decent guitar for the price, this is the one.

philywest
    This guitar is a good beginner guitar, but nothing else. People who compare this to the gibson... I mean come on!! This is a cheap imitation. Although it is very good for its price, and good for a beginner, i dont think it should be used for anything else.